Waste management (Household Waste Recycling Centres) privacy notice
1 Council Contact Details
1.1 North Northants Council
41 Meadow Road
Tel: 0300 126 3000
The Privacy Notice below explains how we use information about you and how we protect your privacy.
We take your privacy seriously and we recommend you read this policy carefully because it contains important information about:
- the personal information we collect about you
- what we do with your information
- who your information may be shared with
1.2 North Northamptonshire Council (NNC) is the Data Controller for the purpose of the General Data Protection Regulations, ie we are responsible for, and control the processing of, your personal information.
2 Information that we hold
2.1 The information we collect includes the following:
- vehicle registration number
- contact details including phone numbers and email addresses
- photographic evidence including still photos and CCTV images
- images of you if Urbaser, the contractor who operates the Household Waste Recycling Centre Service on behalf of NNC, has activated their body worn video camera
- contact we have had with you, such as any correspondence (incoming and outgoing) relating to all aspects of the waste management service
- proof of address or vehicle ownership
- evidence to support investigations or prosecutions into allegations of permit misuse and abuse
- evidence to support investigations into complaints received in the service
- records of incoming and outgoing calls to or from Waste Management officers
Your personal data may be converted ('anonymised') into statistical or aggregated data in such a way as to ensure that you are not identified in any way from it. Aggregated data cannot, by definition, be linked back to you as an individual. This data might be used to conduct research and analysis, including to prepare statistical research and reports.
3 How the information is obtained
3.1 Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you
3.2 There are a number of reasons why we need to collect and use your personal information. Generally:
- it is necessary to meet our legal obligations (state relevant legislation)
- you have requested a service from us
- you have entered into a contract with us
- it is necessary to protect public health
- it is required for the defense of legal cases
- it is needed for employment purposes
- you, or your legal representative, have given us your consent
- you have made your information publicly available
- it is necessary for law enforcement reasons and to prevent, and detect fraud or crime
- we need to protect individuals from harm (in an emergency)
- it is necessary for archiving, research, or statistical purposes. For these purposes your data would be used in a pseudonymised format (name and other identifying information replaced with a unique number).
The processing of your information is necessary to enable North Northamptonshire Council to carry out its statutory duties as a Unitary Waste Authority and to provide other public services.
4 What we do with the information
4.1 North Northamptonshire Council providing services to West Northamptonshire Council
How your information will be used
- process applications for permits
- process challenges or representations and appeals in respect of refused permits
- to assist in investigation and prosecution (if applicable) cases including allegations of permit abuse and misuse
- investigate complaints received in relation to the service
- for the administration of all aspects relating to this service or function
Urbaser on behalf of NNC
Operation of the Household Waste Recycling Centre service
Civica on behalf of NNC
E-payment system to process payments for charity permits
4.2 The council will also undertake to share information with the following where circumstances or law require:
- the Environment Agency
- DVLA to identify the registered keeper in connection with the prevention and detection of crime
- Civica in order to enable payments for charity permits
- other Local Authorities
- regulatory and statutory bodies
- law enforcement agencies in connection with the prevention and detection of crime
- National Fraud Initiative (NFI)
- anybody deemed necessary to enable us to carry out our service or function
NNC is required by law to protect the public funds it administers. We will share information provided to us with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds, in order to prevent and detect fraud. Details of this can be found in the Commission's National Fraud Initiative guidance.
5 How long we keep your information for and how we securely dispose of it after use
5.1 We keep your personal information for all aspects of processing in line with the council’s retention schedules.
Information on permits will be kept for 15 months from the date of your application unless it forms part of an investigation or enforcement action by NNC or other enforcing authority.
5.2 We will securely dispose of your information in line with retention periods.
6 How we store your information
6.1 Your information is securely stored on the council’s systems.
7 Your data protection rights
7.2 Please be aware that your rights may differ depending on the lawful basis for processing your personal data.
7.3 The right to withdraw consent (if applicable). You can ask that we no longer use your details for this [processing/groups of processing]. If you wish to exercise this right, please contact the Data Protection Officer detailed in section 8.1 below.
8 Who to contact
8.1 If you would like further information about how we use your personal information, or you wish to exercise one of your data rights or you wish to complain about the use of your personal information please contact the Data Protection Officer.
8.2 If you are still dissatisfied once you have contacted the Data Protection Officer, you have the right to complain to the ICO.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
Completion and review dates
This privacy notice was completed on 18/03/2021.
The privacy notice review date is 03/2022.