Recruitment privacy notice
1 Council Contact Details
1.1 North Northants Council
41 Meadow Road
Tel: 0300 126 3000
1.2 We recognise that privacy is important. We have developed this Privacy Notice to inform you of how we will use the information you submit through this recruitment webpage, or in any other way as part of a job application or job search process.
2 Information that we hold
2.1 This Privacy Notice applies to all personal data provided by you in your job application, any subsequent information supplied by you in connection with your application and any information obtained from third parties such as prior employers, the Disclosure and Barring Services Bureau and other sources.
- Name, address, email address, telephone number, or other contact information;
- CV, cover letter, previous work experience, education, transcripts, or other information you provide for our consideration;
- Type of employment sought, desired salary, willingness to relocate, or other job preferences;
- How you heard about the position;
- Sensitive information (race/ethnic origin) if you choose to submit it as part of the application process, and;
- Names and contact information for referees.
It is your responsibility to obtain consent from referees before providing their personal information to us.
3 How the information is obtained
3.1 Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you
3.2 There are a number of reasons why we need to collect and use your personal information. Generally, we collect and use personal information where:
- meet our legal obligations (state relevant legislation);
- you have requested a service from us;
- you have entered into a contract with us;
- it is necessary to protect public health;
- it is required for the defense of legal cases;
- it is needed for employment purposes;
- you, or your legal representative, have given us your consent;
- you have made your information publicly available;
- it is necessary for law enforcement reasons and to prevent, and detect fraud or crime;
- we need to protect individuals from harm (in an emergency); or
- it is necessary for archiving, research, or statistical purposes. For these purposes your data would be used in a pseudonymised format (name and other identifying information replaced with a unique number).
4 What we do with the information
4.1 The application information you submit is used for the following purposes:
- To assess your skills, qualifications and interests against our career opportunities;
- To verify your information and conduct reference checks;
- To conduct security and background checks if you are offered a job;
- To communicate with you and inform you of career opportunities;
- To create and submit reports as required by law or regulation;
- To improve our recruitment process; and
- Legal defence as necessary.
If you accept employment with the Council, the information collected will become part of your employment record and will be used for employment purposes. Anonymised personal data will also be used by the Council for the purposes of monitoring equality of opportunity.
4.2 Only relevant employees of the Human Resource Shared Service and relevant recruiting managers will have access to your data for the purposes listed above. Where third parties are involved in the recruitment process they will be bound by terms of confidentiality and this Privacy Notice.
5 How long we keep your information for and how we securely dispose of it after use
5.1 We keep your personal information for all aspects of processing in line with the council’s retention schedules.
We will only keep your information for the minimum period necessary. Unsuccessful application data will be held for a period of 6 months in order that you can access and reuse data in future applications and we can respond to statutory report requests or other legitimate purposes of the council. Successful applicant data will become part of an employment record and will be used for employment purposes.
5.2 We will securely dispose of your information in line with retention periods.
6 How we store your information
6.1 Your information is securely stored on the council’s systems.
7 Your data protection rights
7.2 Please be aware that your rights may differ depending on the lawful basis for processing your personal data.
7.3 The right to withdraw consent (if applicable). You can ask that we no longer use your details for this [processing/groups of processing]. If you wish to exercise this right, please contact the Data Protection Officer detailed in section 8.1 below.
You can choose what types of information, if any, to submit. Submitting your application information is voluntary. By submitting your data, you, the data subject, has given consent to the processing of your personal information for one or more specific purpose.
However, if you choose not to submit your application information, our ability to consider you as a candidate may be limited. You have the right to withdraw your consent to the processing of your information at any time – if you exercise this right your application will be withdrawn from our recruitment and selection process.
We will ask for your consent before we obtain additional information from third party agencies, and will, where required by law, notify you of the information received from those third parties.
8 Who to contact
8.1 If you would like further information about how we use your personal information, or you wish to exercise one of your data rights, or you wish to complain about the use of your personal information please contact the Data Protection Officer.
Or you can write to:
Data Protection Officer
North Northants Council
Completion and review dates
This privacy notice was completed on 19 March 2021.
The privacy notice review date is March 2022.