Early education and childcare privacy notice
1 Council Contact Details
1.1 North Northamptonshire Council
41 Meadow Road
Tel: 0300 126 3000
This notice explains what personal data (information) we hold about you, how we collect it, how we use it and how we may share information that we hold about you in order to deliver our services. We are required to give you this information under data protection law. North Northamptonshire Council is committed to protecting your privacy when you use our services. The Privacy Notice below explains how we use information about you and how we protect your privacy.
North Northamptonshire Council (NNC) complies with data protection legislation (the Data Protection Act 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and is registered as a 'Data Controller' (Reg. No. Z7589390).
1.2 Who we are
Learning, Skills and Education is part of North Northamptonshire Council and provides services in the following areas:
- Adoption and Fostering
- Help and Protection for Children
- Early Education
- Schools and Education
- Special Educational Needs and Disability
- Youth Offending Service
The Early Education and Childcare Service supports the Early Education and Childcare sector to deliver and fund Early Education and Childcare places to children in North Northamptonshire. The service administers and supports the delivery, and payments of Government funded childcare places, the sufficiency of childcare places in North Northamptonshire, the Families Information Service for parents/carers and prospective parents/carers in the county and offer a full advisory service for the practitioners working in the childcare sector in North Northamptonshire.
We work closely with other Family services within North Northamptonshire, Public Health, other external services/ stakeholders and partner organisations to ensure we support the best possible outcomes for children, young people and families in the county.
2 Information that we hold
2.1 What personal information do we collect to deliver this service?
This privacy notice covers the personal information NNC holds about early year's childcare providers and their staff. The information collected by providers at child level and shared with NNC is covered in the privacy notice issued directly to parents by the early years and childcare provider.
The information we collect will vary dependent upon the service we are delivering but we may collect the following (these lists are not exhaustive):
- Personal information such as your name, address, contact details, date of birth, benefits and any disabilities
- Training schedule ie attendance and training attended
- Any assigned professionals or practitioner details
- Child in Care status
- Current and previous school history
- Early Years Foundation Stage profile
- Provider Type ie childminder, pre-school
- Business address
- National Insurance number
- Pupil Premium details
- HMRC 30-hour 11-digit reference number
- 2 year funding eligibility reference number
- SEND details
- Child attendance information
- Payment information including bank details and payee information
We may seek personal information from other sources including:
- Other North Northamptonshire Council services
- West Northamptonshire services
- Childcare Providers
- Department for Education
3 How the information is obtained
3.1 How do we collect this personal information?
We collect personal information in the following ways:
- face to face
- assessment or report
- Ofsted download report
- Online Form
- training registers
3.2 There are a number of reasons why we need to collect and use your personal information. Generally, we collect and use personal information where:
What is the legal basis for the collection and use of your personal information?
We collect and use your personal information in order to:
- Undertake and meet Statutory Duties
- Deliver a service or services to you, and your Business
- to enable official reporting to OFSTED and the Department for Education (DfE)
- Management, monitoring and oversight of all public funding for 2, 3, and 4 year olds in North Northamptonshire
The additional legal bases that govern and direct the delivery of services is as follows:
- Childcare Act 2006 and 2016
Purpose of collecting this personal information
- Make payments to you for delivered services i.e. Funded Service Complete all tasks the remain Statutorily compliant
- To improve the service we offer to you, your business and the children and families of North Northamptonshire
- To meet the sufficiency needs of childcare places in North Northamptonshire
- To provide accurate and robust reporting to the Department of Education (DfE) and OFSTED
- To complete Statutory Data returns – Annual Census Returns
4 What we do with the information
4.1 How we use this personal information
- to meet the statutory duty to distribute information to childcare providers
- to meet the statutory duty to provide training to Early Years providers
- to ensure that EYFSP judgements are moderated and accurate
- to fulfil statutory duties to support settings which are not yet 'good'
- to set up new Early Years child care providers to enable them to claim government funding
- to fund providers - It’s not Free its always Funded early education places
4.2 Who we may share your information with
If required, we will share your information with other North Northamptonshire Council (NNC) departments such as:
- Children Trust
- Education and Universal Services
- Health service providers, including NHS agencies (examples include GPs, hospitals, ambulance, health visitor, mental health services)
We may also share your information outside of NNC with the following organisations (this list is not exhaustive):
- West Northamptonshire Council
- Other North Northamptonshire internal services ie SEND
- Department for Education (DfE)
- Childcare providers
Why we share this information
In order for the service to fully carry out its legal duties and to deliver its service it is a necessary requirement to share this information. If you have approached the service in a voluntary capacity, consent to share will be sought as appropriate.
We will share personal information with law enforcement or other authorities if required by applicable law.
5 How long we keep your information for and how we securely dispose of it after use
5.1 We keep your personal information for all aspects of processing in line with the council’s retention schedules.
How long your personal information will be held
The information will only be used for the purposes stated when it was collected. Information will not be sold, rented or provided to anyone else, or used for any other purpose than that for which it was originally collected unless required to by law.
|Category of Information||Retention Period|
|All records relating to information and support for those interested in becoming a registered child minder and those already registered where there is financial involvement||Retain from year records created for 6 years|
|All records relating to information and support for those interested in becoming a registered child minder and those already registered where there is no financial involvement||Retain from year records created for 3 years|
|All records relating to training provided for those interested in becoming a registered childminder and those who are already registered||Retain from date award expires for 3 years|
|All records relating to the provision of information about registered childminders and day care facilities in the area for parents and carers of pre-school age children||Retain from year records created for 1 year|
|All information relating to provider funding||Retain from year records created for 7 years|
5.2 We will securely dispose of your information in line with retention periods.
6 How we store your information
6.1 Your information is securely stored on the council’s systems in electronic format. The Council’s servers are based in the UK.
7 Your data protection rights
7.2 Please be aware that your rights may differ depending on the lawful basis for processing your personal data.
7.3 The right to withdraw consent (if applicable). You can ask that we no longer use your details for this [processing/groups of processing]. If you wish to exercise this right, please contact the Data Protection Officer detailed in section 8.1 below.
8 Who to contact
8.1 If you would like further information about how we use your personal information, or you wish to exercise one of your data rights or you wish to complain about the use of your personal information please contact the Data Protection Officer:
Tel: 0300 126 3000
Email to [email protected]
Or you can write to:
Data Protection Officer
North Northants Council
8.2 If you are still dissatisfied with how we have used your data once you have made a complaint through the council’s internal complaints procedure you have the right to complain to the ICO.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
This privacy notice was completed on 19 March 2021.
The privacy notice review date is March 2022.