Apprenticeships privacy notice
1 Council Contact Details
1.1 North Northants Council
41 Meadow Road
Tel: 0300 126 3000
This notice explains what personal data (information) we hold about you, how we collect it, how we use it and how we may share information that we hold about you in order to deliver our services. We are required to give you this information under data protection law. North Northamptonshire Council is committed to protecting your privacy when you use our services.
The Privacy Notice below explains how we use information about you and how we protect your privacy. North Northamptonshire Council (NNC) complies with data protection legislation (the Data Protection Act 2018 and the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR) and are registered as ‘Data Controllers’ (Reg. No. ZA928927).
1.2 The apprenticeship service offers apprenticeships and qualifications. We collect personal information about you to enable us to administer, manage and deliver a programme of study either directly to you or procured by an external college or training provider. We may receive information about you from the Learning Records Service or other support agencies.
2 Information that we hold
2.1 Information collected
We currently collect and process the following information:
- Date of birth
- National Insurance number
- Postal address
- Email address
- Telephone and mobile number
- Unique Learner Number
- Personal data of others, such as details of emergency contacts
- Household information
- Sex Employment status to include your job title and role and details for the organisation you work for Health and medical details
- Details of any disabilities, difficulties, or special education needs including EHCPs
- Care leavers information
- Details of race, ethnic origin, and country of birth
- Religious or philosophical beliefs
- Official evidence relation to eligibility
- Parent or guardian details (for apprentices under 18)
- Attendance and absences
- Assessment results
- Voice and video recordings
- Survey responses
If you are providing us with details of emergency contacts, they have a right to know and be aware of what personal information we hold about them, how we collect it and how we use and may share that information. Please share this privacy notice with those contacts, as they have the same rights as set out in the 'Your rights' section below.
3 How the information is obtained
3.1 Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you for one of the following reasons:
- To enable the enrolment and registration onto the programme of study
- To complete registrations to Awarding Organisations (AO) and End Point Assessment Organisations (EPAO)
- To draw funding for the eligible programme of study
- To enable monitoring of your progress whilst enrolled on the programme
- To contact emergency contacts in the case of an emergency
- To assist you with ensuring we are able to run the programme successfully
- To obtain destination and progression information
- To notify you of upcoming events
- To complete surveys to gather your views and opinions to ensure we provide the best service
- Marketing material - (information will only be used if consent has been gained - you have a right to withdraw consent and you can ask that we no longer use your information for marketing)
We also receive personal information indirectly, from the following sources in the following scenarios:
- Learning Records Service - evidence of prior qualifications to support with your programme of study
- Other agencies - evidence of Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) to ensure we can provide the appropriate support for you to undertake and complete your programme of study
3.2 There are a number of reasons why we need to collect and use your personal information. Generally, we collect and use personal information where:
- it is necessary to meet our legal obligations (to complete Individualised Learner Record (ILR) returns to the Education and Skills Funding Agency to fulfil the statutory requirements of Apprenticeship Levy funding)
- you have requested a service from us
- you have entered into a contract with us
- it is needed for employment purposes
- you, or your legal representative, have given us your consent
4 What we do with the information
4.1 We use the information that you have given us in order to:
- Register you onto your programme of study
- Draw the funding for your programme of study
- Access additional funding through bursaries that you may be eligible for
- Ensure our services are appropriate to your learning needs
- Monitor your progress
- Contact emergency contacts in the case of an emergency
- Assist with effective delivery of the service
- Communicate with you on events, enquiries or feedback
- For management reporting to assist in the evaluation and identification of service improvements
4.2 We may share this information with:
- Education and Skills Funding Agency
- Awarding Organisations
- Learning Management System provider
- E portfolio provider
We will share personal information with law enforcement or other authorities if required by applicable law. Any information sharing is undertaken in accordance with UK GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018. We have mechanisms in place to share information lawfully and securely.
4.3 Automated decision-making is where decisions are made about you without any human influence on the outcome. These may affect your legal rights or have an impact on your circumstances, behaviour, or choices.
4.4. Profiling is where you analyse parts of an individual’s personality, behaviour, interests, and habits to identify their preferences, make predictions or decisions about them.
5 How long we keep your information for and how we securely dispose of it after use
5.1 We keep your personal information for all aspects of processing in line with the council’s retention schedules.
5.2 We will securely dispose of your information in line with retention periods.
6 How we store your information
6.1 Your information is securely stored by the provider of our Learner Management System, Awarding Organisations, e portfolio system and council’s systems.
7 Your data protection rights
7.2 Please be aware that your rights may differ depending on the lawful basis for processing your personal data.
7.3 The right to withdraw consent (if applicable). You can ask that we no longer use your details for this [processing/groups of processing]. If you wish to exercise this right, please contact the Data Protection Officer detailed in section 8.1 below.
8 Who to contact
8.1 If you would like further information about how we use your personal information, or you wish to exercise one of your data rights or you wish to complain about the use of your personal information please contact the Data Protection Officer.
8.2 If you are still dissatisfied once you have contacted the Data Protection Officer, you have the right to complain to the ICO.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
9 Changes to this privacy notice
9.1 Privacy notices are live documents, which will be updated or revised in line with legislation.
Last updated 21 September 2023