Development Management Regulatory Service Privacy Notice
1 Council Contact Details
North Northants Council
41 Meadow Road
Tel: 0300 126 3000
North Northamptonshire Council is the Local Planning Authority with statutory duty to determine Planning Applications within its District. Development Management is responsible for determining those planning applications and our responsibilities include:
- Making decisions and providing advice on planning applications
- Responding to allegations of unlawful development
- Monitoring development
- Entering legal agreements, serving notices and promoting the best use of land.
2 Information that we hold
2.1 The information processed may include names, addresses, signatures as well as any other information submitted in support of a planning application,
However, we operate a policy where we redact the following details before making documents available online:
- Personal contact details - eg phone numbers, email addresses, signatures
- Special Category Data - eg supporting statements that include information about health conditions or ethnic origin
- Information agreed to be confidential
On occasions we might decide it is necessary, justified and lawful to disclose data that appears in the list above. If this circumstance arises, we will let you know of our intention in advance of disclosure.
3 How the information is obtained
3.1 Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you
3.2 There are a number of reasons why we need to collect and use your personal information. Generally, we collect and use personal information where:
- it is necessary to meet our legal obligations (state relevant legislation);
- you have requested a service from us;
- you have entered into a contract with us;
- it is necessary to protect public health;
- it is required for the defense of legal cases;
- it is needed for employment purposes;
- you, or your legal representative, have given us your consent;
- you have made your information publicly available;
- it is necessary for law enforcement reasons and to prevent, and detect fraud or crime;
- we need to protect individuals from harm (in an emergency); or
- it is necessary for archiving, research, or statistical purposes. For these purposes your data would be used in a pseudonymised format (name and other identifying information replaced with a unique number).
4 What we do with the information
4.1 We use your information to assist us in making informed decisions on Planning matters.
4.2 We are statutorily required to publish details of planning applications online so that people can make any necessary comments. We will on occasion need to share the information we have with other parts of the council-for example to establish how long a building has been used as a dwelling or with other external 'partner' organisations (for example Local Town and Parish Councils, Northamptonshire County Council, Natural England and the Environment Agency), and the Planning Inspectorate (Secretary of State).
We do not sell your information to other organisations or move your information beyond the UK.
All comments made on planning applications form part of the public record for that application.
5 How long we keep your information for and how we securely dispose of it after use
5.1 Your information will be permanently retained by us as part of the planning register, in accordance with planning legislation.
6 How we store your information
Your information is securely stored on the council’s systems in electronic format. The Council’s servers are based in the UK.
7 Your data protection rights
You have a number of statutory rights to the information we hold on you, which includes access; these are explained on our privacy and cookies pages.
7.2 Please be aware that your rights may differ depending on the lawful basis for processing your personal data.
8 Who to contact
8.1 If you would like further information about how we use your personal information, or you wish to exercise one of your data rights or you wish to complain about the use of your personal information please contact the Data Protection Officer:
Tel: 0300 126 3000
Email to [email protected]
Or you can write to:
Data Protection Officer
North Northants Council
8.2 If you are still dissatisfied once you have contacted the Data Protection Officer, you have the right to complain to the ICO.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
9 Changes to this privacy notice
9.1 Privacy notices are live documents, which will be updated or revised in line with legislation.
Last updated 28 April 2022