Information governance privacy notice
1 Council contact details
North Northants Council
41 Meadow Road
2 Information that we hold
2.1 We currently collect and process the following data when dealing with requests for information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, the Environmental Information Regulations 2004, UK General Data Protection Regulations and the Data Protection Act 2018.
- Contact information such as your address or email address
- Evidence of your identification, such as your passport, driving licence or utility bills when making a Subject Access Request
- We do not request any special category data such as your medical history or criminal convictions, however we recognise you may choose to provide special category information when you contact us
3 How the information is obtained
3.1 Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you for one of the following reasons:
- Respond to requests for information held by the council
- Respond to requests for personal information held by the council
- Investigate complaints or requests for an internal review
- Deal with any requests to action information rights
- Investigate security incidents or reports of a data breach
We also receive personal information indirectly, from the following sources in the following scenarios:
- We may process other categories of personal data, including special category data held by other teams within the council, for example when responding to a Subject Access Request or;
- When dealing with a request for disclosure from another agency with investigative powers
The information handled by the Information Governance Team may include special category data such as:
- Racial or ethnic origin
- Political opinions
- Religious or philosophical beliefs
- Trade union membership
- Health or medical data
- Sexual orientation
- Criminal Convictions
We do not rely on your consent to process your information, however if you do not provide us with certain details, we may not be able to respond to your request or enquiry in full.
3.2 The Information Governance Team collect and use personal information:
- Where it is necessary to meet our legal obligations set out in law
- When we are carrying out a task which is in the public interest which is supported in law
- On the basis of substantial public interest when processing special category data, which will be proportionate to the reasons for processing
The legislation which supports this processing is:
- Freedom of Information Act 2000
- Environmental Information Regulations 2004
- UK GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018
- Local Government and Transparency Code 2015
- Re-use of Public Sector Information 2015
4 What we do with the information
4.1 We use the information that you have given us to manage and administer information requests, reviews or complaints regarding information requests which are made to the council. This includes the logging and monitoring of requests to ensure responses are provided within statutory timescales.
We also use information obtained from other sources to respond to disclosure requests where the law permits.
4.2 We may share this information with the following:
- Other teams within the council where law permits, or it is necessary to do so to complete a request
- West Northamptonshire Council
- The Information Commissioner’s Office
- Service Providers such as IT system or software suppliers
- Professional advisers such as lawyers or auditors
- Agencies with investigative powers such as the Police, other Local Authorities or the Home Office
5 How long we keep your information for and how we securely dispose of it after use
5.1 We keep your personal information for all aspects of processing by the Information Governance Team in line with the council’s retention schedules.
5.2 We will securely dispose of your information in line with retention periods.
6 How we store your information
Your information is securely stored on the council’s systems in electronic format. The Council’s servers are based in the UK.
7 Your data protection rights
7.2 Please be aware that your rights may differ depending on the lawful basis for processing your personal data.
8 Who to contact
8.1 If you would like further information about how we use your personal information, or you wish to exercise one of your data rights or you wish to complain about the use of your personal information please contact the Data Protection Officer.
8.2 If you are still dissatisfied once you have contacted the Data Protection Officer, you have the right to complain to the ICO.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
You have a right to approach the Information Commissioner’s Office regarding your Information Rights at any time. Please visit the Information Commissioner's Office website for further advice.
9 Changes to this privacy notice
9.1 Privacy notices are live documents, which will be updated or revised in line with legislation.
Last updated 29 April 2022