Bereavement Services Privacy Notice
1 Council Contact Details
- North Northamptonshire Council
- Sheerness House, 41 Meadow Road, Kettering, NN16 8TL
- [email protected]
1.2 Include the service area contact details if a shared mailbox.
2 Information that we hold
2.1 We currently collect and process the following information for [insert processing activity]:
- Telephone Number
- Email address
- Payment details
2.2 If there is further guidance on the council’s website please also include a link here.
3 How the information is obtained
3.1 Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you for one of the following reasons:
- Respond to any service requests, feedback or complaints
- Place on record as the applicant for a cremation application
- Place on record as the applicant for a burial application
- To record you are the grantee of an exclusive right of burial
- To process memorial applications and to issue subsequent memorial renewals
- To contact you concerning any of the above
3.2 There are a number of reasons why we need to collect and use your personal information. Generally, we collect and use personal information where:
- it is necessary to meet our legal obligations (state relevant legislation);
- you have requested a service from us;
- you have entered into a contract with us;
- it is necessary to protect public health;
- it is required for the defense of legal cases;
- it is needed for employment purposes;
- you, or your legal representative, have given us your consent;
- you have made your information publicly available;
- it is necessary for law enforcement reasons and to prevent, and detect fraud or crime;
- we need to protect individuals from harm (in an emergency); or
- it is necessary for archiving, research, or statistical purposes. For these purposes your data would be used in a pseudonymised format (name and other identifying information replaced with a unique number).
4 What we do with the information
4.1 As a local authority the Council has a legal duty to carry out many of its functions or is obliged to carry out tasks which are in the interest of the general public. These tasks are carried out under:
- Local Authorities Cemeteries Order 1977
- The Cremation (England & Wales) Regulations 2017
- Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984
Many of the services provided by our Bereavement Services Team require you to enter into a contract with us. If you choose not to provide us with the required level of information, KBC will be unable to carry out its obligations under the contract.
4.2 We may share this information with law enforcement bodies such as the Police, government authorities and other organisations for the prevention and detection of crime or fraud.
Other organisations we may share your data with are (if the law allows or requires it, or if we have your consent):
- Funeral Directors
- Executors of an estate
5 How long we keep your information for and how we securely dispose of it after use
5.1 We will only keep your information for the minimum period necessary and in line with our Corporate Retention Schedule.
Many records in relation to Bereavement Services are retained in perpetuity or for 15 years. Financial records are retained for a maximum of 7 years.
5.2 We will securely dispose of your information in line with retention periods.
6 How we store your information
6.1 Your information is securely stored on the council’s systems that can only be accessed by authorised officers
7 Your data protection rights
7.2 Please be aware that your rights may differ depending on the lawful basis for processing your personal data.
7.3 The right to withdraw consent (if applicable). You can ask that we no longer use your details for this [processing/groups of processing]. If you wish to exercise this right, please contact the Data Protection Officer detailed in section 8.1 below.
8 Who to contact
8.1 If you would like further information about how we use your personal information, or you wish to exercise one of your data rights or you wish to complain about the use of your personal information please contact the
Data Protection Officer:
Tel: 01832 742229
Email to [email protected]
Or you can write to:
Data Protection Officer
North Northants Council
8.2 If you are still dissatisfied once you have contacted the Data Protection Officer, you have the right to complain to the ICO.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
9 Changes to this privacy notice
9.1 Privacy notices are live documents, which will be updated or revised in line with legislation.
Last updated 28 April 2022