Insurance privacy notice
1 Council contact details
1.1 North Northamptonshire Council
2 Information that we hold
2.1 We currently collect and process the following information for
- Contact details – Name address, national insurance number information supplied by the claimant and or their representative
- Medical information to include medical notes and records and specialist medical reports
- Customer financial information
- Employee data
- Highways Information from contractor and internal systems
- Payment details of claimants including bank details
- genetic data
- data from North Northamptonshire suppliers i.e. highways teams on reports to defend claims
- Information is supplied to insurers who may search fraud databases
- National Insurance numbers of claimants
- Social services reports from social services
- Police reports on accidents and any sensitive child abuse investigations
3 How the information is obtained
3.1 Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you for one of the following reasons:
- For the purposes of dealing with insurance claims maybe external claimants, internal North Northamptonshire departments and or for the provision of insurance to North Northamptonshire
- The data is collected from various sources –
- Internal teams
- External bodies – Our lawyers and advisors, Our Insurers and External police ambulance witnesses to incidents and contractors – we communicate with senior officers within the council to include the press teams on sensitive matters financially and reputational for the purposes of defending insurance claims – all of our communications where a claim has been made is covered by legal attorney privilege
- Any information North Northamptonshire obtain in relation to investigation of an incident is not covered by attorney privilege - but will be created by their own DPA guidance within North Northamptonshire
- The data we use will be shared across a shared service function with Cambridgeshire County Council with employees in MKC, CCC and North Northamptonshire
3.2 There are a number of reasons why we need to collect and use your personal information. Generally, we collect and use personal information where:
- it is necessary to meet our legal obligations (state relevant legislation)
- you have made a claim against us
- you are insured with us
- it is required for the defence of legal cases and provision of insurance services across the council
- you, or your legal representative, have given us your consent
- you have made your information publicly available
- it is necessary for law enforcement reasons and to prevent, and detect fraud or crime
- it is necessary for archiving, research, or statistical purposes. For these purposes your data would be used in a pseudonymised format (name and other identifying information replaced with a unique number).
4 What we do with the information
4.1 We use the information that you have given us in order defend your claims and to communicate with you, our insurers, our internal teams and any experts, including legal services we need to resolve your claim against us- and the operation of our insurance obligations for obtaining insurance for the Council
4.2 We may share this information with Council employees and their contractors, our legal representatives, including your own legal representatives, internal and external experts including medical experts
4.3 There is no Automated decision-making is where decisions are made about you without any human influence on the outcome.
4.4 We do not profile information unless it is undertaken for the purposes and detection of fraud and where fraud is suspected the insurance companies share information with various databases
5 How long we keep your information for and how we securely dispose of it after use
5.1 We retain insurance data for 6 years following closure of a claim. Other data will be held in accordance with the corporate retention schedule.
5.1 We will securely dispose or delete your information when no longer required.
6 How we store your information
6.1 We store your information such as documents prepared for defending legal claims and obtaining insurance cover on our claims database and on the council’s IT and cloud-based systems
7 Your data protection rights
7.1 The law gives you a number of rights to control what personal information is used by us and how we can use it. Please see section 15 of the council’s Corporate Privacy Notice for further information.
7.2 Please be aware that your rights may differ depending on the lawful basis for processing your personal data.
8 Who to contact
8.1 If you would like further information about how we use your personal information, or you wish to exercise one of your data rights or you wish to complain about the use of your personal information please contact the Data Protection Officer.
Tel: 0300 126 3000
Email to [email protected]
Or you can write to:
Data Protection Officer
8.2 If you are still dissatisfied once you have contacted the Data Protection Officer, you have the right to complain to the ICO.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
This privacy notice was completed on 1st April 2021