Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

Accumulations and overgrown gardens



Private properties

If someone starts to accumulate degradable waste on their property (e.g. dog poo, food, nappies or other domestic waste that could cause a health issue), you can contact our team and we may be able to take action.

We can’t take action against things like bricks, building materials and other items that won’t degrade, unless there is strong evidence of rats or mice.

In certain instances, our Planning team may have enforcement powers, but there needs to be a very strong case that the issue is ‘detrimental to the amenity of the neighbourhood’.

Council houses

If the accumulation is at a council property, you need to report this directly to your local Neighbourhood team.

Public area

Waste outside a property boundary and in a public area should be reported as fly-tipping.

Last updated 12 July 2023