Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

Parking at council properties

Parking is often in short supply, however you must ensure you park legally and responsibly. We cannot get involved in parking disputes.

If you want to park a vehicle within the boundaries of your property you must do so legally and in accordance with the conditions: 

  • emergency vehicles and refuse collection vehicles must have clear access at all times
  • you must have a dropped kerb or footpath crossing to bring a vehicle onto your premises 
  • you must have a properly constructed hardstanding on the premises
  • you should not park a caravan, boat, motorhome or trailer on the premises without our permission
  • if your vehicle is untaxed, you must declare it to the DVLA
  • you must not leave untaxed vehicles (SORN) in any council-owned or communal car parks
  • you must not keep any illegal or unroadworthy vehicles anywhere on the premises or on any land owned by us
  • you must not store or repair a motorcycle inside the property
  • you must not park, ride, drive or tow any vehicle (including caravans, trailers and boats) on public walkways, grassed areas, verges, public open spaces or any land owned by us
  • you must not leave any vehicle part or parts on the premises or on any land belonging to us
  • you must not allow oil, petrol or other vehicle fluid to spill onto the road, footpath or shared car-parking areas
  • you must not regularly carry out vehicle repairs on the premises or land owned by us, whether for payment or not


Use the application form to request permission for: 

  • a footpath crossing
  • a hardstanding
  • to park a caravan, boat, motorhome or trailer

Tell us exactly what you are planning, and if possible, attach plans, photographs or drawings to ensure we fully understand your proposal.

Select the local area your council house or flat is in:

If your area isn't listed, you may be a resident of West Northamptonshire.

Last updated 11 April 2023