Mutual exchange

You can swap your home with another council or housing association tenant in the United Kingdom.

This can be a quick and easy way to move to a different property or area.

You will need a secure, fixed term or assured tenancy for a mutual exchange.

Find a property

House Exchange is a free service for our tenants. There are other exchange sites and you can join as many as you wish to increase your chances of finding a swap. Some are free and some may charge a small fee.

Once you have received your login details, you can search for:

  • the type of property you need in the area you would like
  • anyone who is interested in your property
  • a match both ways
  • a three-way search

Before you agree to move, you should check the condition of the new property as you will need to accept it in its current condition. Once you have found a match, arrange to view each other's properties.


You will need to complete a mutual exchange application. We (and the other landlord) will confirm if the exchange can take place or not, as you can't move without our consent.

Your property will be inspected and you must both repair any damage that is your responsibility before the exchange takes place.

Check the type of tenancy agreement you will be taking on as your rights may be different. Your Neighbourhood Manager can advise you.

You will not normally be allowed to exchange if:

  • you owe rent
  • either property has had significant adaptations completed and the other household does not require them
  • exchanging would cause overcrowding for either party

Select the area your council house is in to apply:

If your area isn't listed, you may be a resident of West Northamptonshire.

Last updated 02 February 2024