Family Learning courses offer free, fun opportunities for parents, carers and children to learn together. All courses are taught by experienced and qualified tutors who will help to identify personal learning aims, for you and your children, in a safe and welcoming environment.
We are currently running courses for:
- English, Maths and Language - find out how Maths and English are taught in primary schools to children
- IT and Online Safety
- Family Crafts and Activities - support your child's learning and development through crafting
- Family Life Skills - learn and develop strategies to cope with challenges facing your family and build your resilience to respond positively
- face to face and online learning opportunities
- gain new skills as parents, adult learners and for the whole family
- great learning delivered by experienced, qualified tutors
- fun, safe and welcoming for everyone, graded OFSTED 'Good' 2022
- improve your confidence to try other courses
- learn from each other
- enjoy spending time together
Family Learning Courses can be booked online if you have an email to register. To join a published online course:
- choose a course
- sign up for your Adult Learning account or log in if you have an account already
- go to your chosen course and select 'Book a place'
- you will receive a confirmation email with course details and details of how to access your course resources on Google Classroom
You can also watch our video on YouTube for help on how to enrol.
Alternatively, you can phone 01604 367119 during office hours (9am to 5pm).
You can enrol at your first session on the course. However, we encourage you to book beforehand.
To join a face-to-face course in a local venue or school, the local organiser (such as your school's Parent Support Worker) will give you a link for your enrolment.
Family Learning courses are free.
Family Learning courses are either held in person or online. You can access resources and worksheets for all courses on Google Classroom.
Course venues can also be found on your course information sheets.
Courses vary in length, from one session to 12 weekly sessions. Live sessions are normally 60 or 90 minutes long, with a scheduled contact hour between sessions.
You will get much more out of your course if you are prepared to do some homework between sessions.
For online courses, you will need internet access and a Gmail address and password for Google Classroom.
If extra resources are needed, we usually provide them free to you in the live session or by home delivery. Your course information sheet will also tell you what you need to bring.
Please contact [email protected] for one-to-one support with enrolling or getting onto your course.
For the latest information, follow Family Learning on Facebook.
- Become more involved and able to support in your children’s learning
- Become more engaged with your organisation and the wider community
- Develop your personal and family wellbeing and employability skills
- Build confidence and skills to progress to further learning especially in English, Maths and IT
‘The input received from the Family Learning Team this year has been fantastic and has provided some of our most vulnerable parents with the opportunity to engage in a safe and welcoming group.‘ (Compass Primary Academy, Kettering)
‘We hope that this fantastic partnership will continue to flourish and grow.’ (Strengthening Families Team - Northamptonshire Children’s Trust)
‘I have been delighted with the support Family Learning has given our families. The participants in the Slow Cooker Online Course were so proud of the meals they created for their families and how much fun they had too.’ (The Spring Charity)
‘Please keep continue with free courses for families, they really appreciate them.‘ (St Andrews CEVA Northampton)
‘Thank you for the opportunities you provide for our parents. As a school we really appreciate the continued support for our parents.’ (Greenfield Specialist School, Northampton)
- Courses are free to learners and almost always free to our partner organisations too
- Family Learning provides qualified tutors, all course resources and full safeguarding compliance
- A Partnership Agreement is established between our local curriculum coordinator and your setting which makes our mutual responsibilities clear, including:
- Your responsibility for promoting Family Learning courses in your setting and the vital role you play to encourage parents and carers to attend regularly.
- The terms of providing your teaching area (usually without cost).
- Our request that you help us focus our funded free provision to target areas and groups of social disadvantage and particular need.
Family Learning works because parental engagement has a large and positive impact on your children’s learning, giving children greater confidence and self-belief, with measurable benefits to their literacy, language and numeracy skills.
It works because, as parents – especially those parents considered ‘hardest to reach’ – the wish to better support your children is often the key motive in overcoming any practical, financial or dispositional barriers to learning.
To find out about hosting face-to-face lessons in your setting or online courses which support your families contact us by email [email protected].
Last updated 08 September 2023