Energy grants and support

Energy efficiency in rented properties

Energy Performance Certificate

Before taking a new tenancy, you should ask to see a copy of the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

EPCs give information on how to make a home more energy efficient and reduce carbon dioxide emissions. All homes whether bought, sold or rented require an EPC.

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) apply to privately rented residential and non-domestic properties.

The minimum level of energy efficiency for domestic private rented property in England and Wales is EPC Band E:

  • Landlords may not continue to let properties with an EPC rating of F or G, even to an existing tenant (unless an exemption applies)
  • If an exemption applies, landlords must register this on the PRS Exemptions Register.

Where a landlord fails to comply with the regulations, we can serve a compliance notice and impose a financial penalty of up to £5,000 per property, per breach of the regulation.

Last updated 05 April 2023