Disability reductions

You may be able to get a reduction on your Council Tax bill if you, or an adult or child living with you, is permanently disabled.

Only the person(s) liable to pay the Council Tax can apply for a reduction and the disabled person must be living in the dwelling for which the reduction is being sought.

In assessing the application, the Council will need to be satisfied:
  • That there is a disabled person resident who needs either space for a wheelchair to be used inside the home or an additional kitchen or bathroom or a special room (other than a kitchen, bathroom or lavatory) that is needed by the disabled person


  • That this space or room is essential or of major importance to the well being of the disabled resident because of the nature and extent of his/her disability

It may subsequently be necessary to ask for evidence in support of your application and a visit by a Council officer may also be required.

If you are entitled to a reduction, it would take the form of calculating your bill as if the property had been placed in the band immediately below the one shown in the valuation list:

For example, if your property is classed as Band C then with the disabled reduction your bill will be calculated as if it is a Band B property.

People living in a Band A property are also entitled to a reduction.

Apply or renew

Select your local area for more information:

If your area isn't listed, you may be a resident of West Northamptonshire.

Last updated 26 October 2023