To qualify for a discount the carer must:
- Be resident in the same dwelling as the person receiving care
- Provide care for an average of 35 hours per week
The carer must also be providing care for a person who is entitled to one of the following benefits:
- Any rate of attendance allowance
- The highest or middle rate are component of a disability living allowance (if you were born on or before 8 April 1948 and have an existing claim)
- Disablement pension increment due to constant attendance need
- Constant attendance allowance increment
- Personal independence payment (PIP)
Please note that the carer does not qualify for a discount if the person that they are caring for is their spouse, partner, or their child under 18.
To find out if a discount may apply to your Council Tax bill, you need to count the number of adults who live in the property as their main home, and then deduct the number of adults who fall into one of the disregarded groups. If there is a maximum of one adult left, then a discount may apply.
Select your local area for more information:
If your area isn't listed, you may be a resident of West Northamptonshire.
Last updated 02 August 2022