Apply for Council Tax Support or Housing Benefit


Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support is financial help towards paying council tax. You can claim Council Tax Support if you are already claiming other benefits such as Job Seekers Allowance, Income Support or Universal Credit. You may also claim it if you are working but on low income.

To qualify for Council Tax Support, you must meet all of the following criteria:

  • be on a low income
  • be the person responsible for paying the council tax

Considerations include:

  • the money you and your partner have coming in (earnings, some benefits, tax credits and occupational pensions)
  • your savings and those of your partner
  • your circumstances (age, the ages and size of your family, any disabilities and whether anyone who lives with you could help with your council tax)

Normally, you will not qualify if you have savings or investments of more than £16,000.

If you are not sure about whether you qualify, it is always worth making a claim.

Select your local area to apply:

If your area isn't listed, you may be a resident of West Northamptonshire.

Last updated 01 November 2023