Applying for a school place outside the normal admission rounds
Please read the important information below before completing the application form.
Before you explore changing schools please consider whether this is the best option for your child.
North Northamptonshire Council's School Admissions Team co-ordinates all in-year admissions for North Northamptonshire schools, except for the following:
If you wish to apply for a school place at any of the above schools, please contact the school directly.
Schools outside North Northamptonshire
To make an in-year application for a place at a school outside North Northamptonshire, please contact the local authority in which the school is situated.
Schools in North Northamptonshire
Before you make an application for a North Northamptonshire school (other than those listed above), you should be aware that:
- you must not apply for a school place more than 20 school days before it is required - Applications received outside this timescale will not be processed
- you should check that the child is entitled to a school place if they are currently not living in the local area (see ‘Moving to North Northamptonshire’ below)
- you may list up to 3 preferences on the application form (see schools directory for list of schools)
- you may only apply if you are the person with parental responsibility for the child
- you have the relevant documentation ready to upload (where possible) when completing the application form - There will be a delay in processing any school application where the School Admissions team is waiting for any documentary evidence
- you must complete a separate application form for each child who needs a school place
- some schools (such as faith schools and some academies) may require you to complete supplementary information forms (SIFs) as well as the local authority application form - These forms must be returned directly to the school to enable them to apply their admission criteria - Use the schools directory to check if the school you are applying to requires a SIF to be completed
- your child should take up the school place within 5 school days, or by the date shown on the formal letter offering the school place
- it is expected that your child will continue to attend their current school (where possible) until a school place at an alternative school is offered and a date has been arranged for admission
A reference number (note this for future reference) will be automatically generated following successful submission of your form.
What happens after applying
Find out how we allocate in-year places.
Fair access - Providing appropriate education for children of statutory school age
All local authorities have in place a Fair Access Protocol (FAP) in order to ensure that ‘unplaced’ children, especially the most vulnerable, are offered a place as quickly as possible.
The operation of FAP is outside the arrangements for coordination and is triggered when an eligible child has not secured a school place under normal in-year admission procedures.
The local authority must ensure that no school - including those with available places - is asked to take an unfairly large number of children who have been excluded from other schools or who have challenging behaviour.
There is no duty for local authorities or admission authorities to comply with parental preference when allocating places through the FAP. However, parental preference will be considered.
In order to identify whether a child meets the criteria of the Fair Access Protocol or whether additional support may be required in school for a successful reintegration, parents are encouraged to complete the questions on the in-year application, providing as much information as possible regarding the child’s previous history.
Last updated 06 September 2023