Apply for an animal licence
You need an animal activities licence if you are in the business of:
- animal boarding (including home boarding and day care)
- dog breeding
- selling animals as pets
- hiring out horses for riding and or instruction
- keeping or training animals for exhibition
There is a separate application process for:
- dangerous wild animal licences
- zoo licences
Read the guidance below before proceeding with your application as you will have to declare that you are familiar with the relevant guidance to be licensed:
Further information you may find useful:
- the Animal Welfare Regulations 2018
- code of practice for the welfare of cats
- code of practice for the welfare of dogs
- code of practice for the welfare of horses ponies donkeys and their hybrids
For prices, view our licensing fees and charges.
Apply or renew
You will need:
- plan of the premises
- insurance policy (where relevant) to cover the period of licence renewal
- operating procedures
- risk assessments (including fire)
- infection control procedure
- qualifications certificates
- training records
You will receive an inspection before your new licence is issued. You need to apply 10 weeks before you require the licence.
Pay fee on grant of your licence
A grant fee is required once you receive a grant fee request notice from the licensing unit.
Change an animal licence
Email us at [email protected] to make any other change.
Appeal or request a star rating rescore
You cannot appeal if your business has made improvements and wishes to be reassessed, in this case you need to apply for a reinspection.
Last updated 11 April 2023