Apply for a dangerous wild animal licence
If you want to keep any animal on the dangerous wild animals list you will need a licence.
If the licence is granted we will impose the following conditions:
- no more than the number of animals stated on the licence shall be kept at any time
- no other animal specified in the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 shall be kept
- the animals to which the licence applies shall, at all times, be kept at the licensed address and shall not be moved from those premises
- a policy of insurance against liability for any damage caused by the animals shall be held (sum assured no less than £500,000)
- security of animal enclosures shall be maintained at all times
- in the event of the escape of any of the animals we shall be notified as soon as possible
For prices, view our licensing fees and charges.
You should be the person who owns and possesses, or proposes to own and possess, the animal(s) to which the application applies (unless there are circumstances which we deem exceptional).
Dangerous wild animal licences are valid for 2 years from the date of issue and must be renewed before the expiry date if you want to continue to keep the licence.
Change an animal licence
If you need to make a change to your existing dangerous wild animal licence email: [email protected].
Last updated 11 April 2023