Trading Standards guides for businesses
Business Companion provides information for businesses that need to know about Trading Standards and consumer protection legislation.
Animal health controls protect you, your animals, the consumer and the livestock industry. The law sets out responsibilities for transport, disease, welfare, animal by-products and disposal, for example.
These rules apply whether you keep the animals for pleasure or for profit.
There are strict laws on animal feed too, which mostly apply to farmed livestock. However, horses, pets, farmed fish, zoo and circus animals - as well as animals living in the wild - are also covered.
In broad terms:
- the quality must meet the expectations of the consumer
- it must be as described and not presented in a way that misleads the consumer
- nothing may be added or removed that would make it harmful to health
And the rules covering food safety can be divided into two broad areas:
- the preparation of a product (for example, hygiene)
- the finished product (such as labelling and presentation)
If you prepare, pack or sell certain specific food products there will be additional regulations that apply. Check the guides to find out whether there are extra rules that cover you.
The laws apply to any business involved in the import, manufacture and supply of goods to consumers.
If your business carries out any of these activities, you are required to comply with the law and protect consumers by ensuring that your goods are safe.
If you cut corners on safety, you could face criminal prosecution, have to withdraw or recall products from the market and face legal action from consumers to recover damages for the harm caused.
The law also covers the manufacture and approval of this equipment, and lays down requirements about specific quantities in which certain goods must be sold.
If you retail age-restricted products including alcohol, tobacco, knives and films, we can provide guidance to help you train your staff and keep children safe. Please contact us.
- Business Companion: Underage sales - The age restrictions that apply to the sale of certain products and services, including alcohol, tobacco, blades and sunbeds
Last updated 21 December 2021