Self-funding - residential care

If you have capital (excluding your main or only home) over £23,250, you'll be responsible for funding all of your care and support costs.

If you are going to pay your care home fees, you can choose your own residential care home. You might also be able to claim some benefits and allowances to help pay the fees.

Local authorities have a responsibility to:

  • arrange residential care for everyone who is assessed as needing it and is unable to make their own arrangements
  • contribute to the cost of care for people who fit their eligibility criteria and cannot afford to fund themselves

Your choices

If you are self-funding you are free to choose your own care home, which usually means you will have a wider choice than that of people funded by the local authority. You can view a wide selection of care options using the Care Choices directory.

However, if you need support in finding a care home, the local authority can help to find somewhere suitable.

Independent financial advice

If you are in a position where your finances are over the threshold (£23,250) we would advise that you get some independent financial advice.

Independent advisers can help you to make the most of the assets you have (cash or other) through appropriate planning to cover any long-term care costs.

One advantage of seeking independent financial advice is that they will have specialist knowledge and will be able to assess your specific circumstances and make sure you are claiming all the benefits and allowances you are entitled to.

Some of the advice will be offered free of charge, but some of the services will have a fee. Please make sure you enquire about this when you first contact your chosen adviser.

You can find a reputable and verified financial adviser local to you through The Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA).

Find useful help and information from:

Benefits and allowances to help with living expenses

Make sure you are claiming all of the benefits and allowances you are entitled to.

Examples include:

  • Attendance Allowance or Personal Independence Payment (Daily Living Element), which you may be able to claim if you are funding your own residential care
  • Universal Credit, which you can apply for if your savings are under £16,000 and you are under Pension age providing your income is under the thresholds set by the government
  • Pension Credit, which can be paid if you are pension age and your weekly income is under the levels set by the government - there is no ceiling on the amount of capital you may have

When savings run out

If you live in a care home for several years, your savings will decrease over a period of time. This could bring you below the capital limit, making you eligible for local authority funding.

You should inform the council of your situation at least 2 months before your savings drop to the upper capital limit of £23,250. We will then arrange to review your care and support needs and also carry out a financial assessment.

We will only fund residential care for assessed needs, so even if you are self-funding it is really important to get an assessment before choosing a care home.

If you choose a care home that meets the care needs laid out in the care plan, you are more likely to get funding should your situation change in the future - without the upheaval of moving homes. Your needs might change over time, so this is something to consider.

Request an assessment or review from adult social services

We can give you information, advice and guidance to help you remain independent.

Where you may require additional help we can assess you to see if you have eligible needs or review your current care package.

Request an assessment or review

Last updated 15 November 2022