Active Travel fund
The Department for Transport allocated funding to local authorities to encourage more walking and cycling following the COVID-19 pandemic. We used it for the following schemes.
We installed cycle racks at the following locations:
- Burton Latimer, High Street and Latimer Close
- Corby, Old Village, The Jamb
- Corby, Rockingham Road, near Richardson's Cycles
- Corby, Welland Vale Road, outside local shops
- Desborough, Havelock Street, near junction with Station Road
- Desborough, High Street opposite The George public house
- Earls Barton, High Street, outside E Lee Butchers
- Kettering, Dalkeith Place
- Kettering, London Road Car Park
- Kettering, Market Place
- Kettering, Wadcroft Road Car Park
- Kettering,High Street, near Nationwide
- Oundle, Market Place, outside Tesco
- Raunds, High Street and The Square
- Rothwell, Market Hill plaza behind Market House
- Thrapston, High Street, outside General Store
- Thrapston, Oundle Road, outside One Stop
- Wellingborough, Pebble Lane and Market Street
St Mary's Road - Segregated cycle way
We experimentally installed wands to segregate the existing cycle lanes between Tresham Close and Linden Avenue from motor traffic.
This is the first time that we have used this form of segregated cycle lane in Northamptonshire.
Silver Street - Footway widening
We temporarily removed a small number of parking spaces from Silver Street in Kettering, widening the footpath and creating a safer area for pedestrians.
St Osyths Lane – Footway widening
We temporarily widened the footways on the east side of St Osyths Lane in Oundle, from the Post Office to near the entrance to the Co-op.
Cambridge Street - Footway widening
We temporarily widened the footways on Cambridge Street in Wellingborough, enabling social distancing.
Sheep Street and Silver Street - Footway widening
We temporarily widened the footways on Sheep Street and Silver Street in Wellingborough, enabling social distancing.
St Barnabas Road and School Street
School street closure schemes, where cars are prevented from going near the school gates at drop off and pick up times, have been successfully trialled in towns and cities elsewhere in the UK.
A school street at St Barnabas Church of England School in Wellingborough was installed for the start of the September 2020 school term. The trial was made permanent.
Last updated 25 March 2022