Equality Impact Assessments (EqIAs)
The Equality Act (2010) makes it a legal requirement to give due regard to the 3 aims of the General Equality Duty in exercising our functions.
The intention of the duty is to ensure equality groups are considered in our day-to-day decision-making, creating a fairer outcome for both service users and our employees.
The Equality Impact Assessments process is a tool we use to evidence that we have given the due regard required for the 3 aims:
- eliminate discrimination, harassment and victimisation and any other conduct prohibited by the Act
- advance the equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those that do not, including:
- removing disadvantages or barriers that people may face
- taking steps to meet the needs of protected groups, where they differ from the needs of other people
- encouraging people from protected groups to participate in activities where their participation is disproportionately low
- foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those that do not
Read more about public sector equality duty on the Equality and Human Rights Commission website.