We offer 12 weeks of telephone support, with e-cigarettes and nicotine replacement therapy sent straight to your door. We can also offer face to face appointments in Corby and Wellingborough.
e-cigarettes are age restricted products and we can only provide them to those over the age of 18.
If you think you may wish to use an e-cigarette with us, please be prepared to prove your age during your first consultation. You will be asked to do this by emailing a photo of your ID to our secure inbox.
How we can help
Congratulations on taking the first step to a smoke-free life. Stopping smoking will help you feel better, and will almost immediately improve your health.
- a dedicated Stop Smoking Service, providing 12 weeks of free behavioural support
- tips and advice on how to stop smoking
- face to face and/or telephone appointments
- countywide clinics, with appointments available Monday to Friday
- a free course of nicotine replacement therapy (NRT)
- a free e-cigarette starter kit and 12 week supply of e-liquid
- champix pharmacy/GP referral letter (champix is currently unavailable due to a national supply issue)
Did you know that you are 4 times more likely to give up smoking with professional support, as opposed to going it alone?
Smoking in pregnancy
Stopping smoking during pregnancy is the most effective way of ensuring that your child has the best start in life. Although it can be tough to stop smoking, there is plenty of help available across Northamptonshire.
Cigarettes contain over 4,000 chemicals, many of which can prevent your baby from growing properly, and increase their risk of developing significant health problems.
The benefits of stopping smoking in pregnancy include:
- you will reduce the risk of complications in pregnancy and birth
- you will reduce the risk of stillbirth
- your baby is less likely to be born too early and have to face the additional breathing, feeding and health problems that often go with being premature
- you are more likely to have a healthier pregnancy and a healthier baby
- your baby is less likely to be born underweight
- you will reduce the risk of cot death, also known as sudden infant death syndrome
Nicotine replacement therapy
Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) contains only nicotine and none of the damaging chemicals found in cigarettes, so it is a much better option than continuing to smoke. It helps you by giving you the nicotine you would have had from a cigarette.
Although you can purchase NRT over the counter, we recommend getting it through a specialist service and combining it with behavioural support. We can provide you with up to 12 weeks of NRT alongside one-to-one behavioural support.
If you have decided that you want to stop vaping, our easy guide provides a few tips:
Reduce the nicotine strength in the e-liquid you use
Look at what strength you currently use and reduce it down (i.e. 20mg, 18mg, 12mg, 6mg, 3mg, 0mg). Everyone is different as to the speed in which they reduce and finally stop vaping. You will find what works best for you and set yourself a goal on how to wean yourself off.
Extend the time between vape usage
Set aside the vape or put it out of reach so that it is not visible. Only go to it when you feel the need but by extending the length of time you go to it will enable you to use it less and less.
Setting rules for yourself about where you do or do not vape
Vape only when you are outside of the house or car, only use it when you have a break at work. This will not necessarily lead to a reduction in the amount of nicotine vaped, but it will weaken the link between vaping the specific situations and times.
Give yourself something to distract you
Look for different activities to do when you would normally be vaping. Go for a walk but do not take the vape with you, do some gardening or other activities that keep your hands engaged. Try not to think about vaping.
Remember, only stop using your e-cigarette when you feel confident you will not return to smoking. Vaping is not risk free, but it is significantly safer than smoking.
If you would like help to stop smoking please call us on 0300 126 5700 (option 2)
Last updated 31 January 2023