Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

Temporary event notices


Temporary event notices

You need a temporary event notice (TEN) for an occasional event if you are providing the following types of activities: 

  • selling alcohol (note if alcohol is provided at an event a sale may be deemed to be included in any entry or ticket fee)
  • serving alcohol to non-members of a private club
  • provide licenced entertainment (music, dancing or indoor sporting events)
  • serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am 

You will also need a TEN if:

  • the licensable activity is not included in the existing licence for the premises or club your event is being held at
  • your event is held in a private dwelling and you charge those attending with a view to making a profit (including charity events) 

You must be 18 years or older to give a TEN and you can give a maximum of 5 TENs per year unless you are a personal licence holder, which allows you to give 50 TENs per year. 


Your event must:

  • involve no more than 499 people at any one time (including staff) 
  • last no more than 168 hours

A premises: 

  • must have a 24 hours gap between separate TEN's on the same premises
  • can only be authorised to hold a maximum of 15 temporary events per year of no more than 21 days in total

The notice should contain:

  • details of the licensable activities
  • the total period for the event
  • the times when during that period when each activity will take place
  • the maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises
  • any other required matters

For prices, view our alcohol and entertainment licence fees and charges.

The notice must be submitted to us at least 10 working days before the event

Next Steps

We will acknowledge receipt of the notice by the end of the first working day it was received or before the end of the second working day if the day the notice was received is not a working day.

If your TEN is required for an event that is part of a much larger event (e.g. a street fair or concert, we may ask you to provide a plan to clearly identify your location at the event and how you will comply with capacity restrictions.

If the area chief police officer and environmental health officer believe that the event would undermine the licensing objectives they can serve an objection notice on the premises user. This notice must be served within 3 working days of receipt of the temporary event notice. If a premises licence is in place they can also add a statement of conditions (taken from the licence) to the TEN. The conditions will apply to the TEN or the event will not go ahead.

We must hold a hearing if an objection notice is served. A counter notice may be issued if it is considered necessary for the promotion of crime prevention objective. A decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event. 

Counter notices may be provided by the licensing authority if the number of permitted TENs has been exceeded.

Tacit Consent

You will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of 3 working days as long as your application was complete, paid for and correctly served.


Please contact us in the first instance:

If a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice you may appeal against the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than 5 working days from the day of the planned event. Please see address below:

Northampton Magistrates Court
Campbell Square

Tel: 01604 497000

Last updated 03 March 2023