Register a food business


Register a food business

If you provide food or drink for people to consume on a regular basis, you are legally required to register as a food business with us.

This includes, supermarkets, petrol stations, food vans and trailers, restaurants, takeaways, retail shops, schools, nurseries, home caterers, community groups, village halls and voluntary groups giving food away for free.

It includes the following activities:

  • preparation
  • handling
  • processing
  • packaging
  • manufacturing
  • storage
  • transportation
  • selling
  • distribution
  • supplying

When you start a new food business or take over an existing business in North Northamptonshire, you must register the food business with us. You should do this at least 28 days before trading or before food operations start.

Your details will be passed to an Environmental Health Officer (from the area your food business is located in) and they will contact you to arrange a visit and inspection of your premises.

Once registered, all food businesses must meet the requirements set out under the law.

If you are unsure you need to fill the form in, or if you require assistance, please contact the Regulatory Services Food team by emailing [email protected].

Last updated 11 July 2023