Greener, sustainable environment
As a Council, we declared a climate and environment emergency in July 2021. We understand that this means we need to demonstrate clear leadership on environmental sustainability. We need to set an example for others to follow.
Implementing more environmentally friendly ways of working as a Council will be essential. Ensuring that we use renewable energy, low energy LED lighting, make the move to a lower carbon vehicle fleet and reducing staff work-related travel will all be important steps we will need to take.
Using our resources, our profile and our connections with local communities, we will raise awareness of important environmental issues and help set out what needs to be done to respond to the challenges ahead.
We will look to encourage the re-use of materials to protect resources. We will actively work to protect the local countryside and open spaces, and whilst doing so, enhance and the natural environment and ecology. Where necessary, we will take enforcement action to ensure that individuals and businesses comply with the necessary environmental regulations.
Working with communities and businesses to tackle climate change and help improve air quality will also be a priority for us. Businesses have a significant role to play in this regard. We know that we will need to demonstrate leadership to give us the credibility to work with them and together deliver change.
We also need to take active steps to promote more sustainable, active travel. We will look to ensure low carbon technology such as electric vehicle charging infrastructure is in place.
- Demonstrate clear leadership on tackling environmental sustainability
- Educate, encourage reuse, harmonise and enforce to keep our environments free from litter
- Work with communities and businesses to tackle climate change and improve air quality
- Promote sustainable, active travel
- Protect the countryside and open spaces, and enhance the natural environment and ecology
- Embed low carbon technology, improved green infrastructure and sustainable forms of transport
Last updated 17 December 2021