Apply for or renew a Blue Badge
Please check Blue Badge eligibility criteria before applying.
You can apply for a Blue Badge on behalf of someone else if they are not able to complete the form themselves.
This application process is for first time applications and customers who have an existing Blue Badge. If your Blue Badge is due to expire and you cannot find the details when you select 'renew', please complete a new application.
What you will need
- £10 charge payable by credit or debit card
- a recent, colour, passport style photo
- proof of address dated within the last 12 months - this should either be a copy of a utility bill, bank statement or an official letter in your own name such as a council tax bill, letter from the benefits agency
- proof of identity - this proof must detail your full name and date of birth such as a birth certificate, valid photo card driving license or a passport
- proof of benefit - including all pages of the letter and dated within the last 12 months (if applicable)
You may also need to provide the following, depending on your application route or your disability or condition:
- information about any medication you are currently taking
- information about any treatments or surgery you have had or are due to have, that relate to your condition (including dates, if possible)
- official diagnosis letters any other relevant information or reports that are relevant to your application that demonstrate, or help to demonstrate, your eligibility
Due to the variability of the impact of various disabilities and health conditions, it is recommended that supporting information includes:
- details of the impact of your condition on your ability to make a journey
- the frequency that these impacts occur
- whether they are specifically brought on by making a journey
Preparing documents for upload
You can only upload any type of visual electronic file, such as scanned images or documents, or photos taken on a digital camera, tablet or smartphone.
Scans and photos should show the full page, including your name and address where relevant so we know that the document refers to you, and text must be clearly legible and not blurred.
Documents that are not clear or incomplete cannot be used and may delay the application process.
Your application will be assessed within 6 weeks. If you do not provide all the correct documents within 28 days, your application will be automatically closed and you will be refunded.
You will not automatically receive a renewal reminder. It is the badge holder's responsibility to apply for a new badge 8 weeks before the expiry date.
Getting help with your application
If you have any problems using the online form, ask a family member or friend to assist you with your application. Alternatively, you can contact the Blue Badge Team at [email protected] for further assistance.
Changing address on my Blue Badge
If you are an existing Blue Badge holder and you have recently moved address, please email your address change to [email protected] along with your Blue Badge number.
Expired Blue Badge
We do not require you to return your expired badge to us. Please destroy and dispose of your expired badge yourself.
You must inform us if a Blue Badge holder has passed away so we can cancel the Blue Badge, please email [email protected].
Report misuse of a Blue Badge
If you suspect a Blue Badge is being misused you should obtain as many details as possible from the Blue Badge on display (such as name, badge number, expiry date). We will then investigate the matter and take appropriate action if the Blue Badge can be shown to have been, or is being, misused.
Last updated 09 February 2023