Waste collection policies and terms

Waste collection policies and terms

1 Introduction and foreword

1.1 North Northamptonshire Council’s waste collection policy aims to ensure that refuse and recycling services are provided in an effective and efficient manner in order to maximise recycling and reduce the amount of waste disposed of.

2 Scope

2.1 The council has a statutory duty under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 to collect household waste. The legislation allows us to specify a number of requirements around waste collections including:

  • Specifying the size and type of receptacle
  • Where the receptacle should be placed for collection
  • Steps the occupier should take to facilitate collection of waste receptacles

2.2 There are also requirements in the Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2011 requiring the collection of certain recyclable materials from households.

2.3 The Environmental Protection Act also requires the council to provide places at which residents in its area may deposit their waste, referred to as Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRC’s) in North Northamptonshire.

2.4 These policies have been designed to meet our statutory obligations in relation to waste collection and recycling.

3 Policy outcomes

3.1 The intention of this policy document is to ensure there are clearly defined policies and standards in relation to the collection and disposal of waste and recyclable materials, and the operation of Household Waste Recycling Centres by the council to avoid uncertainty for residents, customers, elected Members and officers of the council.

3.2 The policies have been designed taking into account the waste hierarchy, looking to prevent waste production where possible. If waste is produced, re-use it, then recycle it, then recover it (e.g. for energy recovery) and finally dispose of it.

4 Waste and Recycling Policy

4.1 The policies are detailed in Appendices to the document due to their length and complexity. The following policy documents are included

  • Schedule 1 – Waste Collection Services
  • Schedule 2 – Household Waste Recycling Centres
  • Schedule 3 – Other Waste Services

5 Next steps

5.1 Once agreed the policy documents will be published on the council’s website to ensure that they are available for reference.

5.2 Any future communications around waste and recycling will incorporate key messages from the policies as appropriate.

Schedule 1 – Waste Collection Services

1 Bin provision 

1.1 Standard service for individual domestic properties

The following types of bins are provided (The council will be using up existing stock of wheeled bins before purchasing new bins in line with the colours specified above.):

Service Type

Container type

Standard provision

Provision of extra receptacles

Residual domestic waste

Wheeled bin

1 x 180l bin

(Any existing 240l bins or other sized bins will be replaced with a 180l bin as appropriate when lost, damaged or unrepairable).

No further capacity will be provided free of charge, except in certain circumstances (Schedule 1, sections 1.5 and 26). Additional unauthorised bins will be removed.


Wheeled bin

1 x 240l bin

Additional capacity will be provided free of charge upon request to encourage recycling. Additional unauthorised bins will be removed.

Garden waste

Wheeled bin

1 x 240l bin


Residents are charged for this collection. Please see https://www.northnorthants.gov.uk/bin-collections/garden-waste for further information on the service and charges. Additional bins can be provided for which the subscription charge will be applicable.


Food waste (Corby / East Northants Residents Only)

External food caddy (Green)

Internal kitchen caddy (Silver)

1 x 23l caddy

1 x 5l caddy

Please call to discuss additional requirements – Corby and East Northants areas only

Only official local authority issued receptacles will be emptied.

1.2 Sack Collections

Sack collections will only be provided where the property is not suitable to accommodate wheeled bins or as determined by a Council Officer based on circumstantial need.

The standard service for households that remain on sack collections will allow a maximum of four sacks per collection (refuse and recycling). This will also be a kerbside collection. Large families of five persons or more permanently residing at a property will be allowed six refuse sacks per collection on request. Requests must be made in writing and will be reviewed annually. 

Households that remain on sack collections  will be delivered the correct amount of clear sacks for recycling and tags for refuse sacks (the Council does not provide sacks for refuse). No other refuse sacks will be collected without prior agreement.

1.3 Flats

The preferred method of collection is communal bins but we will consider alternatives if due to reasons of storage capacity or access it is not possible to provide or safely empty communal bins.

The capacity provided per flat will be as follows (either in communal or individual bins):

  • Refuse: 180 litre
  • Recycling: 240 litre

1.3.1 Food waste provision - flats

Some flat properties are able to participate in the food waste recycling scheme (where provided).  Participation in the food waste scheme will be determined on an individual basis.  An individual kitchen caddy and communal bin (normally located in a bin storage area) is provided.  The size (normally 140l or 180l) and number of the communal bins will depend on the number of flats in the block. These bins will be shared between a number of properties.

1.4 Houses of Multiple Occupancy (HMO’s)

Bin capacity provided will be based on the number of Council Tax bills for the property.

Where there is only 1 council tax bill for the property 1 x 180l refuse bin will be provided.

Where there are a number of council tax bills, the property will be assessed for the provision of communal bins rather than individual bins using the capacity detailed in Schedule 1, section 1.3 (flats).

1.5 Larger households

For properties with 5 or more permanent residents or 2 children (under three) in nappies consideration will be given to providing additional refuse capacity free of charge if required. Each case will be assessed on an individual basis; a waste audit may be carried out and if any additional capacity is provided, will be subject to annual review and may be removed at any point if it is abused or the property is no longer eligible.

Extra capacity for refuse is normally provided in the form of tags that are attached to extra bags of waste to show they are authorised. For recycling we provide clear sacks. We do not normally provide extra bins.

1.6 Places of worship

Waste and recycling arising from places of worship is treated as ordinary household waste and are entitled to the standard service as detailed in Schedule 1, section 1.1 and collected on the same frequency.

If the premise hires out such buildings to other persons not connected with the conduct of religious worship (e.g., playgroup, social events), this is a commercial activity and a charge for collection and disposal will be made in these circumstances.

Examples of premises which are classified as places of worship are Anglican churches, Baptist churches, Buddhist temples, Congregational churches, Evangelical churches, Jehovah’s Witness kingdom halls, synagogues, mission centres, Methodist churches, Roman Catholic churches, Salvation Army halls, United Reform churches.

1.7 Domestic properties also used for business

Waste produced during any activity for gain or reward, whether on business or domestic premises, whilst self-employed or working for others is classed as commercial waste. 

Waste which is generated by a business at a residential property will not be collected through the household waste collection service. A separate arrangement can be made for the collection of this waste through the commercial waste service for which charges for collection and disposal will be made.

1.8 Childminders

If a childminder service is operating from any dwelling, the waste generated shall be contained within the bins and receptacles provided to the standard domestic service.  If excess waste is generated beyond the standard collection capacity provided, then it shall be treated as commercial waste. A separate arrangement can be made for the collection of this waste through the commercial waste service for which charges for collection and disposal will be made.

2 Materials collected in wheeled bins or caddies and other services

There are slightly different collection arrangements in North Northamptonshire Council areas.  The refuse, recycling and garden waste collections have been harmonised and detailed below in section 2.1.

The following collections are only carried out in some areas:

  • Food waste – Corby and East Northamptonshire – see section 2.2 below for details of the materials collected. 
  • Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) – East Northamptonshire currently, it is intended the service will be rolled out to the Kettering, Corby and Wellingborough area at a later date (subject to funding being available).  See section 2.3 below for details of the items collected.

2.1 Materials collected in the residual, recycling and garden waste bins

This information applies to all of North Northamptonshire (previously Borough Council of Wellingborough, Corby Borough Council, East Northamptonshire Council and Kettering Borough Council areas)

Residual domestic

Recycling bin

Garden waste bin

  • General household rubbish which cannot be recycled or composted
  • Cat and dog waste (in a bag)
  • Nappies & incontinence pads (please wrap)
  • Polystyrene
  • Aerosols (empty)
  • Cans (aluminium and steel), tins (food, drink & pet food)
  • Card and cardboard (including greetings cards)
  • Catalogues
  • Directories
  • Envelopes
  • Foil (clean)
  • Glass bottles and jars
  • Greeting cards
  • Junk mail / flyers / leaflets
  • Newspapers & magazines
  • Paper
  • Plastic bottles
  • Plastic packaging (food trays, fruit & vegetable punnets, ice cream tubs, yoghurt pots & margarine tubs)
  • Wrapping paper (no foil)
  • Flowers
  • Grass cuttings, plants and weeds
  • Hedge and shrub cuttings
  • Hutch bedding
  • Leaves
  • Plants
  • Prunings
  • Twigs / woody material (less than 300mm/12 inches thickness)
  • Weeds

2.2 Materials collected in food waste caddies (Corby and East Northamptonshire areas only)

Food waste (23 litre caddy) – this can be contained within a biodegradable liner or loose in your caddy

  • Bread, cakes and pastries
  • Cooking oils and fats (soak oils into newspapers)
  • Eggshells
  • Leftover food, out-of-date food or mouldy food
  • Meat and fish – raw and cooked including bones
  • Nutshells
  • Tea bags and coffee grounds
  • Fruit and vegetable peelings

2.3 WEEE (Waste electrical and electronic equipment) collection service (East Northamptonshire area only)

WEEE (Waste electrical and electronic equipment)

The following small household WEEE items are collected:

  • Hairdryers, hair straighteners, shavers, electric toothbrushes
  • Kitchen appliances such as toasters, kettles, hand blenders
  • DVD/CD players, radios, MP3 players and remote controls
  • Clocks, watches, calculators and torches
  • Telephones, cameras
  • Laptops
  • Small electrical DIY tools such as drills and electric screwdrivers
  • Toys (remote control car or drone)
  • Chargers

Items should still have the cables attached and all batteries removed.

Please leave any items for collection in a carrier bag by your wheeled bin on either your refuse or recycling collection day.

Only small household items can be collected such as those listed above.

It is intended to roll the service out to Corby and Kettering subject to funding and Wellingborough at a later date when operationally possible.

2.4 Food Caddy Liners

There is no provision for food caddy liners. Residents can use a fully biodegradable compostable liner which are marked as meeting the European standard for compostable packaging – EN13432. These are available for purchase in supermarkets and local shops.  Alternatively, caddies can be lined with newspaper.

3 Items prohibited from the wheeled bins, boxes and caddies in all areas

Residual domestic bin (black wheeled bin)

Recycling bin

Garden waste bin

Food waste (23litre or caddy - where provided)
  • Dry recyclables and compostable organic waste (that is accepted recycling bins or boxes)
  • Hot ashes
  • Car parts
  • Builders rubble or stones
  • Corrosive materials and liquids such as oil and paint
  • Soil or turf
  • Fluorescent tubes or low energy light bulbs
  • Electrical and electronic equipment
  • Pesticides
  • Batteries
  • Commercial or trade waste
  • Plastic sacks (with or without recyclable waste in them)
  • Nappies and incontinence pads
  • Carrier bags
  • Textiles (clothes, bedding, duvets, etc)
  • Egg boxes (plastic)
  • Flower pots
  • Cling film
  • Food waste
  • Polystyrene
  • Broken toys
  • Any other plastics not listed in Schedule 1, section 2.1.
  • Green waste or food waste contained in any type of plastic bag
  • Any type of degradable  biodegradable bag or sack (including corn starch bags)
  • Garden items such as plastic flower pots or trays
  • Any items that should be in the recycling or residual domestic bins or boxes
  • Soil or turf
  • Stones, hardcore or rubble
  • Large branches (over 300mm or 12 inches thickness)
  • Pieces of wood or fence panels



  • Packaging of any sort
  • Plastic bags

4 Frequency of collection

4.1 Standard collection service for domestic properties and HMO’s

All wheeled bins provided on the standard service (see Schedule 1, section 1.1) are collected on an alternate weekly basis unless alternative arrangements have been agreed or for operational arrangements (e.g. to facilitate Christmas collections).

Food waste caddies are collected weekly.

4.2 Flats

The standard collection frequency for flats is fortnightly (refuse and recycling) however it is recognised that due to limited storage in some locations; alternative arrangements may need to be agreed.  These will be assessed and agreed individually.

5 Collection point

Bins must be placed at the kerbside for collection. For the purpose of this policy the kerbside is where your property meets the public highway.  If properties are located down a private driveway or access road then the bins must be presented where the private access road or driveway meets the public highway.

In a small number of cases due to the access or location of a property it may not be possible for residents to place bins near the public highway for collection. Each case will be looked at on an individual basis to agree suitable collection arrangements.

6 Collection time

Any bins must be placed at the kerbside by 6.30am on day of collection, unless the resident is eligible for an assisted collection. They must not be placed out any earlier than 6pm the night before collection. After emptying they must be removed from the highway no later than 8am the following morning.

7 Collection day

Information on your day of collection can be found on your council website. Any changes to collection days will be notified to residents in advance of any changes.

8 Excess or side waste

The following arrangements apply in relation to excess or side waste.

8.1 Black residual domestic waste

Excess waste or side waste beside or piled on top of the black residual domestic wheeled bin will not be collected and will be recorded by the collection crew.

8.2 Recycling

Additional recycling materials for the recycling bin will be collected as long as these are contained in a clear sack next to the bin, or in the case of cardboard flattened and placed next to the bin. Any excess waste put out for collection in black or dark coloured sacks will not be collected. If you regularly produce excess recycling waste additional recycling capacity can be provided free of charge. 

8.4 Garden waste

Excess waste will not be collected, with the exception of Christmas trees which can be placed next to your garden waste bin for collection.

8.5 Food waste

Excess waste is not collected and should be contained within your external food caddy.

9 Bin lids

Wheeled bins will only be collected if the bin lid is closed otherwise it will not be emptied. This is to limit the potential for waste to fall or blow out of the bin when it is being lifted by the bin lift.

10 Missed collections

We will only return for missed collections reported within 72 hours of your scheduled collection day. Any missed collections reported after this time will not be collected until the next scheduled collection day unless there are exceptional circumstances agreed at the discretion of the Operations Manager. Missed collections will be collected within 48 hours (two working days) of report.

If the crew has reported the bin as not out at the time of collection or in the incorrect collection point we will not return to collect it before the next scheduled collection day.

If the bin has been tagged or reported by the crew as too heavy we will not return to empty until your next scheduled collection day and the householder must have removed sufficient material to allow the bin to be safely emptied.

If the bin has been tagged or reported by the crew as contaminated we will not return to empty until your next scheduled collection day and the householder must have removed the contaminated material for the bin to be emptied. Please see Schedule 1, section 11 for further information on contaminated bins.

11 Contaminated bins

The collection crew will tag and record contaminated bins.  The resident will need to remove the contaminant and put the bin out for collection on their next scheduled collection day. We will not return to collect it before then. Where a resident continually contaminates a bin, the Council will provide information and education to the resident. Should the issue continue will consider restrictions / enforcement action.

The process for dealing with contaminated bins is detailed below:

  • Step 1 – Crews identify contamination bin tagged and logged.
  • Step 2 – Confirm if the property has been tagged as contaminated within the last six (6) months.
  • Step 3a – If incident is the first occurrence of contamination, arrange contamination pack to be sent to property. (Containing recycling scheme information and information letter to resident, plus temporary additional containment to allow material to be resorted and represent on next scheduled collection.) If second occurrence, go to Step 3b.
  • Step 3b –If incident is not the second occurrence proceed to Step 3c. If incident is second occurrence, warning letter sent to property. Advise that Waste Management Officer may visit to discuss appropriate presentation of recyclable material and to offer education and assistance.
  • Step 3c – Final warning letter sent to property advising them that if contamination continues the container may be removed and replaced with sack containment and / or further enforcement action may be taken by the council.

12 Bins left on street following collections

Where residents leave their wheeled bins on the street following collection and do not remove them in line with the requirements in Schedule 1, section 6, the council will investigate. Any complaints received will follow the process below:

  1. Complaint received (anonymous complaints will not be accepted)
  2. Inform: Location is inspected and containers that require removal are tagged to notify the user.
  3. Monitor location to confirm if containers are being stored appropriately.
  4. If containers are still inappropriately stored warning letter will be sent requiring removal, explaining:
    • How they have failed to comply with the waste and recycling collection policies
    • How this has (or is likely to) cause a nuisance or have a negative effect on local amenities.
    • What they must do and how long they have got to fix the problem.
    • What will happen if they don’t comply (e.g. removal of the bin, issuing of a fixed penalty notice.
    The householder will be advised to contact the council to discuss their circumstances and any issues they have. A site visit can be arranged to look at individual issues and provide further advice and information.
  5. Educate: If containers have not been removed from the street, the householder will receive a warning notice, which gives notice of intention to serve a fixed penalty notice should inappropriate presentation and storage of containers does not cease. The notice will name the householder and notify them:
    • That they may receive a fixed penalty and why.
    • How much they must pay.
    • They have the right to explain if there are any circumstances that mitigate the situation and why they feel they should not be offered a fixed penalty notice, and that they have up to 28 days to respond.
    • If contact from the householder has not been received after stage 2, an officer will visit the location and try to discuss the situation with the householder.
  6. Enforce: Removal of container or final notice.
    • Where the container continues to be inappropriately presented or used, it will be removed, and alternative collection arrangements put in place (e.g. sack collections)
    • Where residents present sacks or containers other than those issued by the council, they will be referred to investigation as fly-tipping.
    • A fixed penalty notice (fee as stated in the council’s fees and charges) may be issued (at least 28 days after the notice of intent.) Any enforcement action will be taking in line with the council’s Enforcement Policy.
    • Where a complaint relates to a number of properties or areas, these will be tackled in a coordinated approach and planned in with other service priorities.

13 Assisted collections

Residents who are unable to safely move a wheeled bin container or recycling box to the required collection point may qualify for an assisted collection by completing an application form, which is approved by an officer. Bins will be collected from your property, emptied and returned.

These collections are designed for those that live alone and are unable to present their waste for collection for one of the following circumstances. 

  • Permanent infirmity
  • Temporary infirmity (following operations)
  • Disability
  • Inability to use other available aids (neighbours assistance)

Where appropriate, evidence may be requested to prove eligibility to the service. As the service is specific to the applicant it will be necessary for the service to be periodically reviewed to ensure household circumstances do not change in a way that will affect eligibility. Customers no longer requiring assisted collections will be removed from the assisted collection list.

Residents that have an able-bodied person living at the premises will be ineligible for an assisted collection. Information will be verified and if false information has been given the service will be removed with immediate effect.

14 Overweight bins

Where a crew member cannot safely manoeuvre and position a wheeled bin onto the vehicle, or where the vehicle cannot lift the bin due to the weight of the bin, then it will be left not emptied and reported by the collection crew. The vehicle bin lifts have a safe working weight limit which crews cannot override.

Where any bin is found to be too heavy the householder will be required to remove sufficient material from the bin and dispose of it in a responsible manner.

Once sufficient weight has been removed, the bin should be presented on the next scheduled collection date. We will not return to empty the bin before the next scheduled collection date.

15 Damaged, lost or replacement bins or caddies

Any wheeled bin or caddy that is damaged or destroyed by the council’s equipment or staff or vandalised by another party during the course of their work will be repaired or replaced free-of-charge. The size of container provided will be in line with this policy and may not be a like for like replacement.

Any wheeled bin or caddy that is intentionally damaged or destroyed by the property owner must be replaced at their cost.

Bins and caddies will not be replaced if they are in a serviceable condition, and it is the householder’s responsibility to clean them. Private companies are available to offer this service. The council does not offer a cleaning service or clean bins even if this was not the fault of the current resident.

Where residual bins are lost or stolen from a property, they will be replaced with a 180 litre container, as appropriate regardless of whether a 240 litre bin was at the property previously. 

Replacement bins may not be new bins, as to encourage recycling and waste minimisation, bins which have been returned which are of an acceptable quality will be cleaned and re-used.

16 Provision of smaller bins

We do not offer a smaller bins provision.

17 Access issues

Where we are unable to access a road for issues such as parked cars, roadworks, building works, road closures etc. we will attempt to return and collect the bins when we next have a collection crew in the area.

18 Severe weather and extraordinary circumstances

During severe weather or other extraordinary circumstances (e.g. flooding, pandemics) we will:

  • Continue to undertake the regular scheduled collection of waste wherever it is deemed safe to do so.
  • The decision on whether it is safe for a refuse collection vehicle to access a specific location or street has to be determined locally by the driver of that vehicle. Among key factors that apply are road conditions, weather conditions, access past parked cars, risks to public and the crew.
  • We will try to return and collect missed bins as soon as possible after the scheduled collection date. If this is not possible due to continuing conditions, we may suspend some collections to enable us to prioritise collection of residual domestic waste.

19 Bulky waste collections

A bulky collection service is available to all domestic properties within North Northamptonshire. A maximum of 5 items can be collected on any one request. This is a chargeable service.

These collections are only for items that you would take with you when you move house not fixtures or fittings. A list of items that will be accepted as part of this service is available on the council’s website. All items due for collection must be placed at the nearest access point to the road within your property boundary. If items are left outside, please ensure that they are covered in the event of rain.

When attending if items are considered too big or heavy for an operative, we have the right to refuse the service.

Collection staff will not go onto private property to make collections unless there are exceptional circumstances, which have been agreed with the relevant department.

If items are not available for collection on the agreed date a fee may be charged for a return visit. 48 hours cancellation notice must be given for any unwanted collections. If notice is not given or operatives arrive at the premises and no items are presented for collection, refunds will not be issued.

20 Commercial and trade waste

Any waste from a premise used for the purpose of a trade or business is classed as commercial waste and will be subject to a charge for residual and recycling waste.  Further information on can be found on your Council website for the services offered. The Government provides information on your responsibilities as a business.

21 Waste from premises occupied by a club, society or other organisation

Waste from these premises is treated as commercial waste and charges will apply to the collection and disposal of waste and recycling.

22 Waste from residential homes

Waste from these premises is treated as commercial waste and charges will apply to the collection and disposal of waste and recycling. 

23 Waste from a university, school, or other educational establishment

Waste from these premises is treated as household waste. A charge for the collection and disposal of this waste is made as allowed under the Controlled Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2012 for waste and recycling.

24 Waste from halls or premises used for public meetings (e.g. village hall, community centres)

If the hall is used wholly or mainly for public meetings the waste produced is classed as 'Household waste for which a charge for collection may be made'. Waste from these premises will be subject to a collection charge for waste and recycling.

25 Clinical waste

Clinical waste is deemed as such by the Controlled Waste Regulations 2012 or by a medical professional such as a doctor, consultant or district nurse. This waste may be hazardous to any person coming into contact with it and therefore must be collected and disposed of appropriately.

25.1 Clinical waste produced by medical practitioners

We are not responsible for the collection and disposal arrangements of clinical waste within the council’s area, if the health authority is undertaking treatment of patients in the home. The health authority must ensure the necessary arrangements are in place for the collection or disposal of this waste themselves or by using a third-party contractor.

Charges apply to these clinical waste collections and cover the cost of collection and disposal of this waste.

Where a medical body requests a clinical waste collection on behalf of a patient, they must provide details for invoices to be sent and changes will be made quarterly in arrears.

25.2 Clinical waste produced by residents

The Council can offer a free-of-charge collection and disposal service to those residents that are self-administering their treatment and produce clinical waste, such as needles, in their home. A referral from the Health Care Authority will be required to provide the information needed to enable us to undertake the collections safely. This is to ensure the council has details of the types of waste to be collected and the likely hazards.

25.3 Clinical waste produced by a business

Any other waste arising from medical, nursing, dental, veterinary, pharmaceutical, investigation, treatment, care teaching or research, or the collection of blood for transfusion, being waste which may cause infection to any person coming into contact with it will be required to be collected as clinical waste. Charges will be made at a commercial collection rate and will cover the cost of special disposal arrangements. 

26 Hygiene and offensive waste

Hygiene or offensive waste is non-clinical waste which can comprise of sanitary towels, nappies and incontinence pads (known collectively as sanpro waste). This waste is not considered hazardous when it originates from a healthy population. Such waste produced by a domestic household should be triple wrapped and placed in the general waste container.

If a large amount of this waste is being produced at a household, an additional general 180 litre bin may be supplied. The need for an additional bin in these circumstances will be assessed by an officer and each case will be looked at on an individual basis. The following circumstances will be considered:                                         

  • Where one or more adults in the household have a condition that causes them to produce a large amount of incontinence pads, adult nappies, soiled clothing or bedding
  • There are one or more children in the household with a medical condition that causes them to produce a large amount of nappies, soiled clothing or bedding

Householders or carers are required to complete an application form before the additional bin can be delivered and proof of eligibility may be required, in order to have a record of why the additional bin is being supplied. Bins issued on medical grounds will be reviewed regularly and may require a visit from an officer for assessment, if deemed necessary.

Schedule 2 – Household Waste Recycling Centres

1 Site locations and hours of opening

There are four HWRCs in North Northamptonshire; Corby, Kettering, Rushden and Wellingborough.












Kettering Road, Corby, NN17 3JG









Garrad Way, Telford Way Industrial Estate, Kettering, NN16 8TD









Northampton Road (an old A45), Rushden NN10 6BW









Paterson Road, Wellingborough NN8 4BZ








All sites are open 5 days a week (2 days closed on a rota). All sites are open on a Friday, Saturday and a Sunday.

All sites are open 10am to 6pm (summer and winter).

If residents arrive before a site opens, they may be asked to move their vehicle if a traffic queue forms which blocks the highway.

All sites are closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year’s Day and will close at 2pm on Christmas Eve.

All sites are open on a bank holiday except where these fall on the centres closed days (see table above).

2 Safety at Household Waste Recycling Centres

The HWRCs are operational sites which are open to members of the public. Therefore, appropriate health and safety rules are enforced to ensure the safety of staff and residents.

Site rules for residents and visitors to site require people to:

  • wear suitable clothing (no open toe footwear)
  • use gloves when handling sharp or heavy items
  • place all items in the correct containers
  • co-operate with staff and ask for assistance if needed
  • bring someone along to the site if they are bringing heavy or awkwardly sized items
  • keep children and animals inside your vehicle at all times
  • observe the 5mph speed limit
  • respect staff and other customers
  • comply with all policies such as the e-permit and DIY waste restrictions
  • pay for all commercial and chargeable household waste
  • only park in marked bays or as directed by staff
  • be alert when at a HWRC, and not to use mobile phones or cameras.

Site staff will assist members of the public who request assistance provided that providing assistance will not put either the member of staff, the member of public or other site users at risk.

3 Vehicles access

Commercial-type vehicles and cars towing a trailer (under 1.8m in length) require a free waste e-permit to use waste recycling centres. Please see Schedule 2, section 7 for more information.

All vehicles over 3.5 tonnes laden weight and trailers over 1.8m in length are not allowed at any of the recycling centres.

4 Pedestrian access

For safety reasons pedestrian access is not permitted at any of the recycling centres.

5 Materials accepted at the HWRCs

The HWRCs are provided for the primary purpose of enabling North Northamptonshire’s residents the free disposal of household waste from their homes (i.e., their normal place of residence).

The following waste types can be recycled at the HWRCs:

  • Foil
  • Scrap Metal
  • Aerosols
  • Food tins and drink cans
  • Garden waste
  • Plastic bottles
  • Hard plastics
  • Mixed glass bottles and jars
  • Shoes and textiles
  • Car batteries
  • Used engine oil
  • Small electrical appliances
  • TVs and monitors
  • Batteries
  • Mixed light bulbs
  • Large electrical appliances
  • Fridges and freezers
  • Books
  • Cardboard
  • Paper
  • Cooking oil
  • Cartons
  • Paint
  • Soil (DIY restrictions apply see Schedule 2, section 6)
  • Plasterboard (DIY restrictions apply see Schedule 2, section 6)
  • Wood and Timber (DIY restrictions apply see Schedule 2, section 6)
  • Hardcore and Rubble  (DIY restrictions apply see Schedule 2, section 6)
  • Household waste
  • Gas Bottles

To reduce queues and to maximise recycling residents are asked to pre-sort their waste before visiting the HWRC.

Gas bottles and fire extinguishers can be accepted at Corby, Kettering and Rushden sites only.

Cooking oil - small amounts emptied into a 500ml bottle can also be put into the general waste bin at home.

Residual household waste is any household waste that cannot be recycled. This waste will be sent to landfill or treatment which costs more money than recycling.

The HWRC site staff may require additional verification about the source of waste brought to site for free disposal and they may ask residents to complete a declaration form.

The site staff have discretion to refuse free disposal of waste at the HWRCs.

Intimidating, threatening or abusive behaviour towards staff or other site users will not be tolerated. Action may be taken to pursue offenders to prevent a recurrence.

6 Materials that are restricted or not accepted at HWRCs

The HWRCs do not accept asbestos, car tyres, whole cars, caravans, trailers, clinical waste and some types of hazardous waste.


Accepted at all sites




See Schedule 3, section 1 for Asbestos Disposal Scheme information



Specific policies apply to DIY waste. See restrictions at household waste recycling centres

Chemical and radioactive hazardous waste


Different restrictions for different waste streams



Not widely promoted but water-based paint

Fire extinguishers


Can be disposed of at selected sites only:

  • Corby
  • Kettering
  • Rushden

Weed killer


The recycling centres do not have the correct chemical storage facilities so cannot accept weed killer.



Residents are advised to seek a member of staff for help. Must be domestic waste.

Oil filters (automotive)


Residents are advised to seek a member of staff for help. Must be domestic waste.

Used engine oil



Caravans and trailers



Car tyres


Recycling Centres are not licensed to recycle tyres. Residents will need to find a private company to do this.

Gas bottles


Can be disposed of at selected sites only:

  • Corby
  • Kettering
  • Rushden

Clinical waste and sharps


Residents not able to dispose of sharps or hazardous clinical waste at the household waste recycling centres. Advised to contact doctor or local health authority for advice on disposal.

Landlord’s waste


See restrictions at household waste recycling centres.

Trade Waste

Yes at selected sites

See restrictions at household waste recycling centres (link to policy). Can be disposed of at selected sites only:

  • Kettering
  • Rushden

DIY Waste


See restrictions at household waste recycling centres.

6.1 Asbestos

Asbestos and asbestos bonded materials cannot be disposed of at any of the HWRCs.

Asbestos is a dangerous substance that can cause severe respiratory illness and must be disposed of with care. If a resident discovers asbestos or asbestos bonded materials in their home during building work or DIY activities the general advice is to leave it and consult with specialist companies. If the material is damaged or you have to remove it, you must make arrangements for its safe removal and disposal.

There are licensed, specialist asbestos removal companies who will arrange for the safe removal and disposal of asbestos.

Alternatively small quantities of ‘bonded asbestos’, arising from household maintenance and repairs, can be taken by residents to the waste transfer station operated by Suez, located on the Brackmills Industrial Estate (Liliput Road) in Northampton under the Asbestos Disposal Scheme.

Depending on the type of asbestos, a charge may be applied (see Schedule 3, Section 1.0 for further details).

6.2 Plasterboard

There are plasterboard recycling facilities at all of the HWRCs. However, there are restrictions about how this waste is presented.

Residents should ensure that any plasterboard brought to a HWRC for disposal is:

  • stripped of any contaminating material such as wood, tiles and bricks;
  • removed from bags and wrappers.

If plasterboard is not completely free of contaminating material, it may be refused:


Not acceptable

  • Plasterboard with wallpaper or paint
  • Plasterboard with foil backing
  • Tiles
  • Bricks and breeze blocks
  • Batting and fixings

6.3 Hazardous waste

Hazardous waste is any liquid or solid material that may cause harm to people or the environment if not disposed of correctly. The following are examples of hazardous waste that people may have at home:

Household products

Garden products

Car products

  • Paint
  • Oven cleaner
  • Fire extinguishers
  • Weed killers
  • Antifreeze
  • Oil filters
  • Used engine oil

Information on whether these are accepted at the HWRC’s can be found in Schedule 2, section 6.

6.4 Clinical waste and sharps disposal

Clinical waste classed as hazardous and clinical sharps cannot be accepted for disposal at the household waste recycling centres. Residents should contact their doctor or local health authority for advice on hazardous clinical waste and sharps disposal. The Council can arrange for the collection of clinical waste in certain circumstances as detailed in Schedule 1, section 26.

6.5 Landlord’s waste

Landlords should note that any waste from a property that they own but do not live in, or if waste is created by someone who has been paid to complete the work, the waste is considered to be commercial / trade waste and must be paid for.

6.6 Commercial and trade waste

All residents should note that if waste is generated as a result of paying for a tradesperson to do work on their house, then the waste is considered to be trade waste and must be paid for.

Every establishment or business that produces waste has the responsibility to manage it properly. Right Waste Right Place will help you comply with the law

6.7 DIY waste

The maximum number of trips permitted to dispose of DIY waste produced by residents as a result of DIY work on their own home is determined by the type of vehicle.

Vehicle type

Number of free DIY waste trips per 2 months (60 days)

  • Small cars

8 trips

  • Large cars
  • Estate cars
  • MPVs
  • People carriers
  • 4x4s without pickup
  • Camper vans or minibuses with rear seats and fittings (used for passenger transport)

4 trips

  • Pick-ups and crew cabs under 3.5 tonnes gross laden weight
  • Vans under 3.5 tonnes gross laden weight
  • Camper vans and minibuses with rear seats and fittings removed
  • Horseboxes under 3.5 tonnes gross laden weight
  • Any medium vehicle towing trailers under 1.8m in length

6 trips as per e-permit scheme (see Schedule 2, section 7)

DIY waste (or construction and demolition waste) is large amounts of waste that is generated through building or renovation work in a home or garden.

By law waste types, such as DIY waste, that may be produced through building or renovation work in a resident’s own home or garden are classed as 'non-household waste' and the council does not have to accept these waste types free of charge.

Examples of DIY waste (not a comprehensive list):

  • Hardcore, rubble and bricks
  • Tiles and ceramics
  • Paving slabs
  • Plasterboard
  • Roofing materials
  • Soil, turf and tree trunks from landscaping activities
  • Baths, toilets and basins
  • Fitted carpets and underlay
  • Doors, windows and frames
  • Kitchen units and work surfaces
  • Built in wardrobes and cupboards
  • Shed and fence panels
  • Laminate flooring
  • Timber and MDF hardboard
  • Central heating system components

If a resident wants to make more than the permitted number of visits to dispose of DIY waste then they will be directed you to one of the HWRCs that has a weighbridge and the waste will be treated as chargeable.

The HWRC site staff may require additional verification about the source of waste brought to site for free disposal and they may ask residents to complete a declaration form.

7 HWRC e-permit scheme

The electronic permit (e-permit) scheme which is in force at all HWRCs applies to residents taking household waste to the sites in a car towing a trailer or a commercial-type vehicle: residents will require an e-permit to access the HWRCs. The waste e-permit scheme limits a car towing a trailer or commercial-type vehicles to 6 visits over a 12-month period. Residents can apply for a free e-permit, or renew or edit an existing e-permit online.

As a part of the application process, residents must agree to the terms and conditions, of the e-permit scheme, which is strictly for household waste only. 

Schedule 3 – Other waste services

1 Asbestos Disposal Scheme

An asbestos disposal scheme is available for households which is subject to the guidelines and changes detailed below.

1.1 Guidelines

There are strict guidelines for using the Asbestos Disposal Scheme which restrict the amount of asbestos waste that can be disposed using the scheme and the way in which it is presented. Waste will not be accepted if it does not fall within these guidelines:

  • Only one trip per household is permitted.
  • Each individual bonded asbestos sheet or pipe must be wrapped in clear thick gauge polythene sheeting (available from DIY stores) and sealed with tape to prevent the release of dust (maximum length per piece is 1.8 metres).

1.2 Asbestos scheme charges

A subsidised charge is made for the following acceptable items:

  • Up to an absolute maximum of 5 sheets of 900mm x 1.80 metres
  • Up to an absolute maximum of 9.00 metres run of asbestos (pipe or guttering)
  • 1 x asbestos water tank

We provide information on the applicable charges.

Items for which no charge is made:

  • Ironing boards with asbestos iron rest pad (do not remove the pad from the ironing board)
  • Small domestic asbestos fire blankets

If a resident has more than the maximum quantities shown, the whole amount is charged at the transfer station's commercial rate and none of the resident’s waste will be eligible for disposal under the scheme at any time.

This scheme is only available for asbestos removed by residents from their own home and is not for trade waste which includes asbestos that residents have paid to have removed from their home.

2 Charity Waste Recycling Permit (CWRP)

Organisations that meet the following criteria may request a Charity Waste Recycling Permit (CWRP) by completing an on-line application form issued by North Northamptonshire Council.


  • A place of worship
  • A charity shop selling donated goods originating from domestic property
  • A premises occupied by:
    • a community interest company (being a company which is registered as such with the registrar of companies) which collects goods for re-use or waste to prepare for re-use from domestic property, or
    • a charity or other not for profit body, which collects goods for re-use or waste to prepare for re-use from domestic property.

There is an administration fee for each application based upon the costs incurred by the Council and its contractors in administering this system. The current fee is outlined in the application form. A Charity Permit application form can be requested by email to [email protected]. Permits are linked to specific vehicles and a permit is required for each vehicle that uses the site. Permits are valid for twelve months.

Only recyclable waste is permitted to be taken into either Kettering or Rushden Household Waste Recycling Centres in the North Northamptonshire area and it must be weighed separately. Any approved non-recyclable waste will be directed to one of North Northamptonshire’s nominated or contracted residual waste Delivery Points. 


Waste that cannot be disposed of using a Charity Waste Permit includes:

  • Construction, demolition, maintenance or refurbishment waste,
  • Packaging waste
  • Waste from garden clearances
  • Waste generated outside North Northamptonshire
  • Any waste items that have been collected in return for a sum of money
  • Any items that have been donated by businesses or not directly from a householder
  • Any recycling or residual waste that is being delivered to either an HWRC or residual waste Delivery Point by a company that has been paid.

This list is not exhaustive but as a rule of thumb, no waste other than goods donated from domestic properties or from a place of worship will be accepted.

Last updated 08 May 2024