Convert a civil partnership to a marriage

Existing civil partners can convert their civil partnership into a marriage.

How to convert your civil partnership

Both parties will need to attend an appointment with a registrar where you will complete and sign the civil partnership conversion declaration.

You can attend any register office in England and Wales for this process - it doesn't have to be the place where the civil partnership was formed.

We will ask to see the original documents to show your:

  • names and ages - passport or birth certificate, along with any name change documents
  • address - Council Tax bill, bank statement or photo ID UK driving licence
  • existing civil partnership certificate


The current fee is £45, subject to change by the government.

How to apply

To apply for a civil partnership conversion in a registration office, make an enquiry and we will contact you to make the arrangements.

Celebrate your conversion to marriage

You may wish to celebrate the conversion by arranging a separate civil partnership conversion ceremony after the conversion at the registration office. There is an additional fee for the ceremony.

Alternatively, you can choose to convert the civil partnership using a 2 stage option where all of the documentation is checked at an appointment with a registrar but the signing of the legal document takes place at a separate ceremony.

There is an additional fee for the ceremony part of the conversion. If you choose this option the marriage certificates will not be available until the full conversion process has been completed.

How to book a conversion ceremony

To enquire about a civil partnership conversion using either of the options above, please contact Northamptonshire Registration Service.

Last updated 08 March 2023