Stay safe when you’re out celebrating this ChristmasLicensing
22 November 2022
Ahead of the start of the Christmas party season, residents across North Northamptonshire are being asked to remember some golden rules when planning a trip or night out.
If you are arranging an evening out this Christmas, make sure that you plan well in advance how you are getting home by using licensed taxis.
All taxis that are registered with the local council must display a licence plate (usually on the front and rear of the vehicle) which has a number, along with a smaller licence in the front windscreen. Always check this before getting in a taxi to make sure that your driver has followed the correct and legal processes.
Due to the pandemic, the traditional Christmas parties haven’t been able to go ahead for the past few years. But we know this year many people will be planning day trips and evenings out and may require a taxi home, which is why we are taking this opportunity to remind residents to be careful and only use licensed taxis.Cllr David Brackenbury, North Northamptonshire Council’s Executive Member for Growth and Regeneration (which covers taxi licensing)
Wherever possible, pre-book a taxi and ask the driver for the name of the booking before you get in. And always keep the number of a reliable firm with you so you don’t get caught out.
I would encourage all residents to think ahead and follow the golden rules when using taxis this Christmas, which include planning how you are going to get home and keeping the number of a reliable firm with you.Cllr Jason Smithers, Leader of the Council
Here are a few golden rules when using taxis this Christmas:
- Plan how you’re going to get home from your night out – arrange a lift or book a taxi in your name. And leave the taxi booking details with a friend
- Always keep the number of a reliable firm with you
- When you make a booking, ask if you can pay by card. It is worth agreeing the fare in advance, so you can make sure you have the correct cash to pay if necessary
- Avoid taxis that tout for business and are unlicensed
- When the taxi arrives, check it is the one you booked by asking for the name in which it was booked. If in doubt, don’t get in
- Always sit behind the driver in the back seat
- If you feel uneasy, ask to be let out
- Stick with your friends and choose a meeting point for if you get separated
- Never accept a lift from a stranger.