Council tax energy rebate

We have started making payments of the £150 energy rebate to eligible residents who pay by direct debit. Payments are being made in batches as soon as system checks are complete over weeks commencing 9 and 23 May. Those paying by other means will be contacted soon

Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement
All services

Energy Company Obligation (Help to Heat)

Qualifying householders can access funding for energy efficiency improvements to their homes through the central government’s ECO scheme.

What is ECO?

Energy Company Obligation (ECO) is a central government energy efficiency scheme available throughout Great Britain. Its aim is to help reduce carbon emissions and tackle fuel poverty by improving the energy efficiency of homes occupied by low income, fuel poor and vulnerable households.

Who funds ECO?

The government has made it a requirement that the large energy suppliers provide the funding to pay for the energy efficiency improvements to your homes. The funds are passed directly to the ECO providers or installers who must be a PAS2030 or TrustMark accredited company to be able to install energy efficiency measures in your home.

Who administers ECO?

Ofgem administers the scheme on behalf of the Department for Energy, Business and Industrial Strategy (BEIS).  BEIS sets the overall policy for the ECO scheme.

What energy efficiency improvements are available? 

The following improvements may be available under the scheme:

  • Loft insulation
  • Cavity wall insulation
  • Gas boiler replacements
  • Oil boiler replacements
  • External wall insulation
  • Internal wall insulation
  • Room in roof insulation
  • Underfloor insulation
  • Electric storage heaters

Who qualifies for ECO? 

Low income households who are in fuel poverty qualify for ECO. To qualify you will need to be in receipt of benefits and live in a property with a low energy efficiency rating. There might be some income thresholds you need to meet. For more information visit Ofgem.

What is our role? 

Our role as the council is to confirm if a household is in fuel poverty based on the criteria detailed in our ECO Flex - Statement of Intent which is published below. On confirmation of eligibility, we can provide a Local Authority Flex Declaration to an ECO provider/installer which they use to claim back the installation costs from an Energy Suppliers’ ECO Funds.

What is my role as the householder? 

All householders accepting the installation of energy efficiency improvements to their homes are responsible for instructing/hiring the installer and must carry out their own checks on the installation company.

Checks you should carry out:

  • Check if you need planning permission or building regulations approval: Certain types of insulation such as external wall insulation might need planning permission and building regulations approval and as the homeowner it will be your responsibility to apply for this
  • Check if the installer is a member of a competent person scheme related to electrics or insulation work, like the NICEIC, CIGA or Stroma schemes. If they are then they will be able to self-certify their work, rather than needing to get building regulations approval from your local council
  • Check they are Gas Safe registered. By law all engineers installing gas boilers must be on the Gas Safe Register
  • Check if they provide any warranties on the installation

How do I apply for ECO? 

There are many ways to apply. Either by:

  • Contacting any of the large industry energy providers (for example, British Gas, Eon, Npower). You don’t need to be the energy company’s customer to apply to their ECO scheme.
  • Applying via a local or national PAS2035 / TrustMark accredited installation company or ECO provider.

How do I apply for ECO Flex?

First check our statement of intent to make sure you meet the eligibility criteria. Then you will need to contact one or more of the installers listed below on the webpage for an assessment and property survey. They will then apply to the council on your behalf, we will provide a declaration to the installer to confirm your household qualifies for ECO Flex.

Please note: You won’t receive any written or verbal confirmation from us that you do, or don’t, qualify.




SMS and Agility ECO (WHF)

[email protected]



[email protected]

01372 738952


[email protected]


Foreseasons Energy

[email protected]


South Coast Insulation Services and Greener Homes Group

[email protected]

[email protected] 


Energy Saving Group

[email protected]

[email protected]


J&J Crump and Son

[email protected]

[email protected]



Aran Services

[email protected]


Care and Repair Northants

[email protected]

01604 782250

Carbon Rewind

[email protected]



[email protected]


Insta Group

[email protected]

0800 526 023

Dyson Energy

[email protected]

0800 833 018

Energy Won

[email protected]

0800 021 0012


[email protected]

0114 247 308

BroadOak Properties

[email protected]

0800 246 1950

All Seasons Interiors Ltd

[email protected]

01909 771838

Effective Home LTD

[email protected]

0330 013 0377

Max Energy Home Insulation

[email protected]

0116 296 2700

Encore Heating and Insulation

[email protected]


Leon York Heating/ Leon York Insulation

[email protected]

0116 2896045

Macbrook Gas Ltd

[email protected]

01953 888222

Eco Sub Limited

[email protected]

0333 242 0615

Eaga Energy Partnership

[email protected]

01792 962044

Knowle Engineering

[email protected]

0121 296 2666

Smart Energy Sense / All Green Energy Solutions[email protected]0800 001 6652

UK Energy Management

[email protected]0191 466 1185
Free ECO Funding

[email protected]

[email protected]

0121 728 23 73

What if I am not happy with the installation? 

Initial complaints about an installation should firstly be made to the company who installed the measure, but if problems persist you may contact OFTEC who oversees the PAS2030 and TrustMark schemes. Alternatively, you may contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Services for free impartial advice.

Last updated 10 May 2022