Building control applications


Building notice application

Before applying, make sure you have received a quote as the reference number will be needed for the application.

On submission, we will write to confirm stages of work we would like to inspect - arrange for an inspection prior to covering up or proceeding to the next stage.


Building notices are generally suitable for smaller domestic projects where the owner or the builder are confident that they can meet building control requirements without approved construction drawings or specifications.

We don't approve any drawings submitted, so it’s important you consider which application route best suits your project.

If the proposal relates to any other work, such as commercial, industrial or retail, a full plans submission must be made.

The following documentation needs to be included with the application:

  1. Location plan (including marked up location of the works where relevant (e.g. extension)
  2. Existing and proposed layouts, elevations, sections, drainage layouts, structural design plus associated details
  3. Specification
  4. Fire strategy / drawings where the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 applies
  5. Details of enhanced Part M (Access) requirements if required by Planning.
  6. Details of reduced water consumption requirements if required by Planning.
  7. For new dwelling or dwellings (including flats):
    • Full design thermal calculations
    • Overheating calculations
    • Connectivity plan (if this is not provided with the submission, we will not be able to accept the application)

When an application is submitted, it must include all necessary information so that a 'Plan Check' can be carried out - unless it could be reasonably subject to a condition. Failure to do this incurs additional work, which may result in additional fees being charged.

  1. Fire Safety the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 applies to all premises that are ‘work places’ and imposes a duty in the responsible person to comply with its requirements
  2. Electrical work carried out in dwellings must be carried out by a ‘Competent Person’ who is on an Approved Register and who is capable of ‘self-certifying’ their own work
  3. Subject to some provisions of the Public Health Act 1936 owners and occupiers of premises are entitled to have their private foul and surface water drains and sewers connected to the public sewers where available. Special arrangements apply to trade effluent discharge. Persons wishing to make such connections must give no less than 21 days notice to: 

    Anglian Water Services Ltd
    Development Services
    PO Box 495
    PE29 6YY

    Telephone: 03457 145 145 Email: [email protected]
  4. Section 16 of The Building Act 1984 allows the passing of plans subject to conditions. The conditions may specify modifications to the deposited plans and / or that further plans shall be deposited
  5. The inspections which Building Control undertakes should not be confused with full site supervision. The approval notice and completion certificate which the council issues is not a guarantee or warranty. The council is not responsible for any economic loss due to defects or failure to meet the minimum requirements of building regulations
  6. Persons proposing to carry out building work or make a material change of use of a building are reminded that permission may be required under the Town and Country Planning Acts
  7. Food safety legislation may require higher standards and if premises may be used as a food business you must seek advice from the Environmental Health Section
  8. These notes are for general guidance only, particulars regarding the deposit of plans are contained in Regulation 14 of the Building Regulations 2010 and in respect of fees, in the Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 2010
  9. A building notice / full plans application shall cease to have effect from 3 years after the acceptance / approval date by the Local Authority unless the work has commenced before the expiry of that period 


Area the building or premises is located:

If your area isn't listed, you may be a resident of West Northamptonshire.

Last updated 05 February 2024