Free school meals and pupil premium
Reception, year 1 and year 2
All children in reception, year 1 and year 2 are automatically entitled to free school meals under the Universal Infant Free School Meals scheme.
Contact your child's school directly to find out how to order and access the meals.
You need to apply for the pupil premium (additional school funding for disadvantaged children to improve the quality of their education) if your child's school is in North Northamptonshire. The child must reside with the applicant.
Year 3 and above
The school the child is attending will automatically get a pupil premium amount if the child is eligible for free school meals.
You can apply below for free school meals (£2.30 towards the cost of each meal) for older children in full-time education up to the age of 18 if you are in receipt of certain benefits and they attend a school in North Northamptonshire.
- Universal Credit (annual net income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods)
- Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance or income-based Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guarantee element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you're not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying)
The application outcome will be confirmed instantly and emailed to you with a reference number. We will process the application and notify your child's school within 5 working days. Pupil premium is automatically applied for at the same time.
You will then need to find out from your school how to order and access free meals.
During September and October there is a longer wait for applications to be processed.
Children in care or with Special Educational Needs (SEN)
Families with children in care or with SEN need to meet the eligibility criteria above.
The government directly funds meals for children residing in local authority care homes.
Changes and support
Contact the free school meal team by email at [email protected] if:
- you stop receiving an eligible benefit
- you change your address
- you need help or support including unsuccessful or pending applications
Last updated 25 January 2022