Financial support over the winter for low income residents using pre-payment meters or 'non-standard' fuels
07 November 2023
North Northamptonshire Council is urging low-income residents who have pre-payment meters, or use ‘non-standard' fuels, not to miss out on financial 'Winter Energy Support' as part of the government's Household Support Fund.
Non-standard fuels include those who use tank or bottled gas, liquid petroleum gas (LPG), oil, wood, and solid fuels.
If you, or someone you know, uses pre-payment meters or non-standard fuels and are on means tested benefits such as; Council Tax Support, Housing Benefit, Income -based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA), Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Income Support, Pension Credit, Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit and Universal Credit, then you, or they, are eligible to apply.
The total value of all winter support payments awarded to successful households will be £150 in total up to 31 March 2024. Only one award for winter energy support will be made per household.
Successful applicants will receive a payment to their bank account.
To receive support, you must:
- be over the age of 16 years (not in full time education)
- have the right to work in the United Kingdom
- be a resident of North Northamptonshire
- not have been in receipt of Winter Energy Support from North Northamptonshire Council as part of any financial aid award from the Household Support Fund since 1 April 2023
- be in receipt of means tested benefits
- use a pre-payment meter or non-standard fuel (such as oil) for heating the home
You must provide evidence of:
- your National Insurance number
- 1 month’s full bank statement dated within the last 3 months showing receipt of means tested benefits
- proof of up-front payment for energy (receipt, bill or statement of account showing name, address and account details) dated within the last 3 months
The easiest way to apply in North Northamptonshire is to visit North Northamptonshire council’s website. Professionals, voluntary organisations, carers, family members and friends can apply on behalf of a resident, subject to being able to supply the required information.
*Please note that if you have made or are making a financial aid application through the Household Support Fund, you will be provided with the Winter Energy Support as part of any approved claim. A separate application for Winter Energy Support isn't needed and won't be approved.
The Household Support Fund is there to help households most in need with the rising cost of living, including families, pensioners, unpaid carers, care leavers and people with disabilities. The money was allocated by the Department for Work and Pensions to councils in England, who chose how to support those in need in their local area.Councillor Helen Harrison, Executive Member for Adults, Health and Wellbeing
In North Northamptonshire we recognise that several residents use pre-payment meters or what is termed, non-standard fuel, such as oil, wood, and gas. It is vitally important that all circumstances are considered when distributing this financial support and much more importantly, that people come forward and receive the support they need with the increased cost-of-living during the winter period.
We are urging people not to miss out on this vital support over the winter months from the government before the end March 2024. If you are eligible, or perhaps someone you know, please apply and spread the word.Jason Smithers Leader of North Northamptonshire Council