Council takes action to continue to balance its budgetFinance
15 January 2024
North Northamptonshire Council is a well-managed and financially responsible authority. The council has worked proactively to balance its budget since its inception nearly three years ago, which includes identifying £42m of savings since 2021.
In common with many councils across the country, we are not immune to national, unprecedented financial and service pressures, particularly in our demand-led services in both Adult Social Care and Children’s Services.
As a well-run organisation it is important the Council takes prudent and proactive steps to manage these challenges. These include:
- Monitoring financial and service performance, regularly and routinely
- Holding member budget scrutiny sessions as part of the annual budget setting process
- Delivering an ambitious programme of service transformation, focused on making services more efficient and effective
- Investing in staff, the organisation’s culture and in new technology
- Reducing energy usage and working to reduce unnecessary waste
- Procuring goods and services effectively
- Continuously improving financial governance arrangements, including the implementation of spending review and control procedures aimed at ensuring the council continues to operate economically and provides value for money
The council will continue to strengthen its approach to enable it to stay within budget, provide quality services and deliver value for money in all that it does.
Introducing measures to tighten spending controls is exactly the sort of thing a well-run, responsible council does and is common practice in the sector.Councillor Jason Smithers, Leader of the Council
We have a very healthy balance of reserves, which helps insulate us from veering towards reaching a very precarious position but rather than dip into them, we’ve made the sensible decision to tighten our belts.
We are facing unprecedented demand for services and the money available to pay for them is under increasing pressure. Despite this, we have continued to set a balanced budget, provide vital services and identify savings too.
The challenges we face are becoming increasingly complex. I am fully committed to enhancing the council's financial management and utilizing innovative solutions to address any challenges that arise.
We remain focused in delivering efficient, economic and effective services as part of our everyday work.
This is about robust management and maintaining vigilance at a time when increasing demand and price rises are challenging our budget assumptions.Janice Gotts, North Northamptonshire Council’s Executive Director of Finance and Performance and Section 151
This is prudent financial management. It is not unusual in the sector to seek such restraint and it is considered a reasonable step to take at this time.
The council is currently carrying out a statutory budget consultation. Take part and have your say online: North Northamptonshire Council Draft Budget 2024/25 Consultation.