If you're overweight, losing weight has many health benefits. People who are overweight have higher risk of:
- heart disease
- type 2 diabetes
- some types of cancer
- back pain
Being underweight isn't good for your health either. If you are concerned about yourself or someone else, or you want to find out whether you are a healthy weight visit the Body Mass Index BMI on the NHS website.
How we can help
If you're struggling to achieve a healthy weight, Public Health Northamptonshire will fund a 12-week course to support you to reach your weight-loss goals.
The Northamptonshire Weight Management service is able to offer referrals via Slimming World, Northampton Town Football Club or access to a digital service delivered by Solutions for Health.
Virtual support may require participants to download an app to their phones.
We have some eligibility criteria to help us support people in the right way.
- have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 28 or above
- live in Northamptonshire
- not be pregnant
- be 18 years of age
- be ready and motivated to lose weight
- not have been a paying member of a weight management service in the last 3 months
If you do not meet the eligibility criteria, the provider can decline your application.
Slimming World offer fully funded referrals, for 12 consecutive weeks, with the Consultant of your choice at one of our many local venues.
- you can eat lots of normal, everyday food with no worries about weighing or measuring – and you'll never have to go hungry
- there'll be no embarrassing revelations about how much you weigh or anything else – your weight is never disclosed
- a friendly and highly trained Consultant to run your group who will guide and support you during your referral
- there are no strangers – only friends you haven't met before – all with the same hopes and dreams and all ready to help you fulfil yours
Tel: 01773 309252 (lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 6:30pm).
Northampton Town Football Club
12 weekly sessions at your local football club where you can meet other football fans on the same journey as you. Learn how to make better choices to improve your lifestyle and health and take part in physical activity sessions.
Contact: Akshay Mistry
Tel: 07876 355107
ShapeUp4Life Digital provider
ShapeUp4Life is available as a mobile app and online virtual classes. Learn about making healthier food choices, getting more active, managing triggers and more in our comprehensive 12-week programme.
- a personalised dashboard
- unlimited access to our free recipes and snack ideas
Developed by our expert nutritionists and the NHS, these healthy foods contain a balanced mix of nutrients helping you to eat well and enjoy your meals.
How to contact us
If you have any problems contacting your provider, please email [email protected] and we will contact your provider.
Type 2 Diabetes
If you are concerned about developing Type 2 Diabetes, you can check out your risk and access a range of support services on the NHS website:
The National Diabetes Prevention Programme operates in Northamptonshire, and your GP can refer you to the programme if they feel it is appropriate for you.
Other support available
Download the free NHS 12-week diet and exercise plan. The plan, which has been downloaded more than 4 million times, is designed to help you lose weight safely and keep it off.
Finding it hard to stay motivated? Sign up for weekly weight loss email support from the NHS to keep you on track.
Last updated 21 February 2023