Household Support Fund

Financial aid - HSF

Application deadline

Applications for support closed on 11 February 2024.

We have received a high volume of applications for support. We aim to assess applications within 8 weeks. Please wait to be contacted to avoid delays in processing your application.

The financial aid element of the fund is not intended as emergency support and only 1 award will be allocated per eligible household. All households who make an application will be sent information on how to access further support.

The amounts payable to successful claimants of financial aid are:

Household sizeHardship payment award
Single person£150
2 Person£260
3 Person plus£320


To receive a financial aid payment from the fund you must meet our eligibility criteria.

You must also have the following information for you and other members of your household:

You will need to provide the national insurance numbers for all those over the age of 16 residing in the household. You can find your National Insurance number on If you do not have a national insurance number you will need to apply for a national insurance number.

One of the following forms of photographic identification will need to be submitted for the main applicant: 

  • Driving Licence
  • Passport
  • Biometric Residence Permit - formerly known as identity card
  • HM Forces Identity Card or ID card carrying the PASS accreditation logo

Where the main applicant is unable to provide photographic ID, they will need to provide 2 of the following:

  • full birth certificate
  • work permit or residency permit
  • adoption certificate
  • marriage or civil partner certificate
  • divorce, dissolution, or annulment papers
  • gender recognition certificate
  • deed poll certificate
  • firearms certificate or licence
  • police registration document
  • certificate of employment in the HM Forces
  • benefit statement, book or card or original notification letter from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) confirming the legal right to benefit for example, child allowance, pension dated within the last 3 months
  • a document from a local or central government authority or local authority giving entitlement such as Employment services, Job centre, Social Security services (UK and Channel Islands) dated within the last 3 months
  • most recent tax notification from HM Revenue and Customs (i.e., tax assessment, statement of account, notice of coding, P45 or P60 (UK and Chanel Islands) dated within the last 3 months.

All documents must be dated within the last 12 months.

Proof of address for the main applicant which can be one of the following:

  • utility bill (you can provide a gas, water, electricity or land-line telephone. We also accept a certificate from a utility supplier confirming the arrangement to pay for the services on pre-payment terms at a fixed address. More than one utility bill may be accepted if these are from 2 different suppliers. Utility bills in joint names are also permissible
  • financial statements (bank, building society or credit card statement, non-EEA statements will not be accepted)
  • council tax bill or statement
  • full or provisional UK driving licence (photo or old-style paper version)
  • most recent HM Revenue and Customs tax notification (i.e. tax assessment, statement of account, notice of coding, but not a P45 or P60)
  • mortgage statement from a recognised lender (non-EEA statements will not be accepted)
  • benefit statement book, card or original notification letter from the Department of Work and Pensions (DPW) confirming the rights to benefit, for example, child allowance or pension (UK) 

For all household members over the age of 16 years and not in full time education:

  • latest 2 monthly payslips (4 weekly payslips if paid weekly) or latest SA302 for the Self Employed
  • 2 full bank statements from the last 3 months, each showing a full month of transactions for all of your personal bank accounts
  • 2 full personal and business bank statements from the last 3 months for all members of the household who are self-employed
  • evidence of Lasting Power of Attorney (if exercising POA rights), proof of identification and residency of the Attorney
  • proof of pre-payment meter or any non-standard utility provider
  • proof of energy debt if appropriate

Make sure you have the documents above ready to upload before applying. Give yourself 30 minutes to complete this form, as there is not an option to save your application and return later.

Applications for support closed on 11 February 2024.

Next steps

Information you provide, alongside the council and central government systems, will be used to assess your household’s income and savings.

We will contact you by email or phone if we have any queries about your application. If we need more information, you must provide this within 7 days, otherwise your application will be declined.

If your application is approved, payment will be made directly into the bank account of the main applicant only.


Processing timescales are subject to application volumes received. Due to high numbers of applications our team will not be able to respond to any enquires during the application assessment process.

Other support can be found at

The Household Support Fund is financed by the Department for Work and Pensions.

Last updated 12 February 2024