Covid Additional Relief Fund
The government provided funds to give business rates relief for businesses impacted by Covid-19, but who are not eligible for existing relief schemes such as the Extended Retail Discount and Nursery Relief schemes.
The second application window is open from 18 July to 22 August 2022.
There are limited funds from the government and to ensure it's allocated fairly, we will determine the amount to be awarded in each case once the application window is closed depending on the number of applicants and eligibility.
This guidance sets out which businesses may qualify to make an application and the evidence required as per government guidance.
Only businesses occupied and liable for business rates in 2021/22 are eligible to apply for funding and our decision will be made by 30 September 2022. Government rules mean we:
- must not award relief to ratepayers who, for the same period of the relief, either are or would have been eligible for the Expanded Retail Discount (covering Retail, Hospitality and Leisure), the Nursery Discount or the Airport and Ground Operations Support Scheme (AGOSS)
- must not award relief to a rateable property for a period when it is unoccupied (other than properties which have become unoccupied temporarily due to the government’s advice on Covid-19)
- direct support towards ratepayers who have been adversely impacted by the pandemic and have been unable to adequately adapt
- can't grant the discount to ourselves or to a precepting authority in line with legal requirements
Funding is awarded after all other discounts and reliefs, so if there is no liability due after this, the business will not be eligible for this funding.
We will assess if a ratepayer has been adversely financially affected by the pandemic and has been unable to adequately adapt. You need to demonstrate continuous trading from either the current rateable property or from different properties since before the first lockdown (23 March 2020).
The amount of relief will be based on the liability at the date we make a decision about the application. If the 2021/22 liability changes (e.g. as a result of a retrospective rateable value change), the total relief may be amended at our discretion.
Applicants need to provide:
- Evidence to show a substantial loss in income or significant increased costs as a result of the Covid-19 crisis.
- VAT registered businesses: Include details and copies of the VAT100 reports for each VAT period since April 2019
- Non-VAT registered businesses: We need accounts covering the same period
- Confirmation that the business has not received any relief or discount under the relief schemes mentioned in section 4 above
- Confirmation of Subsidy Allowance compliance
Select your local area to apply:
If your area isn't listed, you may be a resident of West Northamptonshire.
Last updated 28 July 2022