Equipment, adaptations and assistive technology

Major adaptations

A grant is paid when we consider that changes are necessary to meet your needs, and that the work is reasonable and practical.

You can claim if you are disabled and you:

  • are either the owner or tenant (including licensees) of the property
  • intend to occupy the property as your main residence throughout the grant period (currently 5 years)

We can help you to find a property which has already been adapted in a way that meets your needs or get a housing grant to cover any adaptations which need to be made.

If the adaptation costs more than £1,000, you may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant to help pay for it. This could include bigger changes, such as:

  • improving access to rooms and facilities, such as stair lifts or a downstairs bathroom
  • providing a heating system suitable for your needs
  • adapting heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use
  • access in / out of property (ramp) as well as level access shower adaptations in general (not only ground floor)

A Disabled Facilities Grant will not affect any benefits that you're getting.

Applying for a Disabled Facilities Grant

Contact Community Occupational Therapy to find out if you can claim a Disabled Facilities Grant.

Alternatively, call 0300 126 3000, and select Option 1, Option 2 and Option 2 to complete a referral.

Read more about Disabled Facilities Grants.

Adaptations for children or young people under 18

To find out if you can claim the grant for the benefit of a child or young person living in the property, contact Community Occupational Therapy for an assessment.

You can also call 0300 126 3000, and select Option 1, Option 2 and Option 2 to complete a referral.

Landlords' duty to make 'reasonable adjustments'

Under the Equality Act 2010, landlords must make 'reasonable adjustments' for tenants with disabilities.

Your landlord doesn't have to make changes which affect the structure or which would substantially and permanently alter the building. For example, they don't have to remove walls, widen doorways or install permanent ramps. However, there are some things they must do to adapt your home if it is reasonable to do so.

You can ask your landlord to do the following things under the Equality Act:

  • remove, replace or provide any furniture, furnishings, materials or equipment, as long as it would not become a permanent fixture when installed
  • replace or provide signs or notices
  • replace taps or door handles
  • replace, provide or adapt your doorbell or door entry system
  • change the colour of any surface
  • allow an assistance dog in a place that normally doesn't allow pets

See the Citizen's Advice Bureau guide on Discrimination in Housing for more information.

Last updated 14 November 2023